Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I am making a Powerpoint slide deck in which I am using a

Customer Question

I am making a Powerpoint slide deck in which I am using a keyword over and over. Tomorrow, I will use a different keyword over and over. I would like to use a variable in place of the keyword in the slides itself and set that variable to whatever the keyword-of-the-day
is and start the presentation. How can I do that?
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I link the content of one cell of a table on one slide, to another cell of another table on another slide, so that if I change the first one, the second one automatically changes?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

You mean a word will be on a slide and you want to change this word in one go on the following day correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but not through Find & Replace. It should be more like setting a variable at the beginning and using it in future slides
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you could with a variable, but then you would be doing it in VBA, with a sub routine to go through and update each text box with the value, so it can get messy to manage as you need to update the code with any changes.

The easiest method, though depends on your slides, is to put the one text box in the master slide then you just need to update the masterslide once. Is this an option?

Else if not, then use the VBA editor in Powerpoint

Then you would use the code

sub setValues()

dim val as string

val="The word"

text1=val

text2=val

(so text 1, 2 ect being the names of the textboxes on the slide)

end sub

Then you click in this, press F5 and they will be all updated with this word.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the master-slide method, will not only the textual content be fixed on future slides, but also the format and the position of the text on the screen? Or is it also possible to have a master slide with the required text, but then freely use that text in future slides with various formats and positions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the VBA method, how do I insert the variables in the slides when I want to use them?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, the master slide is fixed.

For the VBA, you do not insert a variable, that you cannot do. Your assigning values in the code to the text box.

So if the textbox is names text1 then in the code your saying text1 = val (val being my variable in the code above).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
text1 = val does not do anything to the textbox called text1. It merely creates a variable called text1 and assigns it the value of val
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It would not create a variable for this as thats done in the DIM line

Can you provide the powerpoint and I will see how you have it structured.

Go to

http://ge.tt

Upload it and provide me the download link please