Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

I have Windows Office 2007 and Vista operating system.

Customer Question

I have Windows Office 2007 and Vista operating system. Within the last two weeks, I am unable to open office files that I have stored in my "Documents". When I click on the document to open, I get a box which says "configuration setup progress for Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. If I enable this setup, nothing happens....Then a Windows Installer box pops up indicating an error occurred and features no longer functioning properly. Then another box saying to run setup and select repair to restore application....Nothing happens!!!!! I've tried uninstalling certain updates to see if this helps...but it does not. I've tried going back to a previous setup, but that does nothing. These word documents are for business purposes and I must have full and quick access to them....and be able to create and modify the documents. I've seen comments on the Microsoft Community website relating a similar problem with newly installed Windows 10. I've tried some of the "fixes" found there, but to no avail. What is going on????? HELP!!!!!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

When you mention you tried going back to a previous setup, can you verify that this is what you did?

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier point, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin: I did that already. It did NOT correct the problem. Any other suggestions....Rita
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI....I chose a restore point for the end of July. It did not correct the problem. Rita
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Question Rita.. When you chose the restore point. After the computer restarted.

Did it say restore successful, or restore failed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a reply that indicated the restore successful...Rita
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood. It sounds like you have some registry corruption either for office, or for windows itself.

It may be best if I connect to your computer and work on the issue directly. If you would like to try that method of support then accept the offer I am sending you. If not, we can continue via written word.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin: I have to log off now to get some work done for an upcoming meeting later this afternoon. Can we get back in touch tomorrow afternoon?. I have no problem with you connecting to my computer, I've just run out of time this afternoon to do this. Thanks, Rita
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.. I will be working from 10 am till 8 pm EST tomorrow, If tomorrow doesnt work for you.

Just send a message when you can letting me know ahead of time when you'd prefer to connect.

Good luck the meeting,

Dustin S.