Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have Microsoft office downloaded on my dell laptop and all

Customer Question

I have Microsoft office for students downloaded on my dell laptop and all my documents were done in Microsoft office 2010. I upgraded to Microsoft windows 2010 and it wont let me open any of my documents, please advise
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. So your files were done in MS Office 2010 and now you installed MS Office 2013 and your files are not opening in MS Office 2013. Is this correct?

Also, did you upgrade to Windows 10 recently?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I upgraded to windows 2010, did not upgrade to MS office 2013
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. So you already had Office 2013 before you upgraded to Windows 10. And all your files which were created in MS Office 2010 used to open in your MS Office 2013 before the upgrade. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I never had MS 2013, only MS 2010. After upgrade to windows 2010, files will no longer open. never had MS 2013
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am still here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to call you, typing is fine
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Let me clarify. You already had Office 2010 in your previous version of Windows (prior to the upgrade)

All your files open normally

Now, after the upgrade to Windows 10, all files no longer opens because it is asking for MS Office 2013? Or is it asking for MS Office 2010 even though MS Office 2010 is still installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is asking or MS 2013. I don't want to buy 2013 and need to open the files already on there like today. also, cannot get to the main windows screen since upgrade, only internet. I ran all diagnostics on it last night and everything checked out fine. I don't know what the heck is wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still patiently waiting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you going to be able to help me or should I just go to the geek squad?? I thought you guys at Microsoft would have the answers but I am becoming a little impatient.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, please try the following:

1. Locate your MS Office 2010 program like MS Word 2010
  2. Open the Word 2010 program
  3. Click on File Menu and then open any of your old document from there

Is it allowing you to open the old file?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried the procedures I gave you? Please give it a try and let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main windows screen will not open to allow me to get to my pc where all my documents are. the only reason I know they won't open is because I was on the school website and tried to open an original document I did and it wouldn't let me. remember me saying that I cant get to the mainscreen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
internet only at this point. windows icon along with two others are just flashing at bottom of screen. when I clink on them-nothing
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry about the issues. Please try to press the Windows logo key in your keyboard, then type MS Word. Did it give you the MS Word 2010 icon? Click on it and see if it opens that way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the problem while you watch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do I need to do
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** on this link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=7f223bae-849c-4398-b94a-3c331a6cc129

In that page, click on the green Agree button, then run the tool to join me in the remote session.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
How is it going? Did the rollback to Windows 8.1 finish successfully?
Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my computer will not even boot up now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, if you can get back in it go for it. Again password ***** *****
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I was disconnected when the system was rolling back to Windows 8.1. What happens after that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing i try to boot it up and it says your PC did not singer other correctly and then it says repair so I hit the repair button and it says PC cannot be repaired.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Taking out the battery and unhooked it from power source let it sit for a while to see if you know there was just something like running that needed to stop when I reconnected same thing happened again
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please take your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did all those things and it's still nothing nothing nothing nothing
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry about the persisting issues. By the way, this started when we initiated the process to roll back to Windows 8.1. However, when the process was in progress, I was already disconnected. Can you please tell me what happened during that time? Did you see any progress on screen about the restore process to Windows 8.1?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't. Please help. I sent a nastygram to dell telling them they better get me a new computer or my money back so well see how that goes. Are you even able to connect to it now?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but if the computer now longer boots to Windows and connected to the internet, our remote system cannot work. I believe the process to restore Windows 8.1 was interrupted and did not complete so it no longer boots this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can i do now?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Can you please confirm if the system is booting into Windows 8.1 or is it still booting into Windows 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer doesn't boot at all. Goes to a screen that says "your pc did not start properly" select repair (a button) and this can sometimes fix the problem, or pick more advanced options (a button). No matter what I do it keeps going back to saying you computer cannot start properly.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

But when the system attempts to boot, is it showing the Windows 10 screen or the Windows 8?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks like windows 10, so i pressed restart, no - then i pressed advanced, and one of the options is continue to windows 8.1, still doesn't work. then pc tries to diagnose for a minute or two and then given me the original message again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you would please, go ahead and close out my trial and do not charge again for recurring charge. I appreciate how hard you have worked all day, but this is the only computer I ever have trouble with and I am taking it up with Dell now. I am not spending another time or minute of my time or yours for that matter trying to fix a computer that has been a problem since the day I got it. 1st week owned had to go to the repair shop. If you will excuse my french it is a piece of shit that I should have thrown out the window months ago.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry about your persisting issues. If this laptop is still covered with warranty, then you should be able to have it repaired with your warranty coverage.

As I see it, there are few ways that this can be repaired. But first and foremost, if a Dell technician works on your laptop, please request to FIRST RECOVER your personal files like Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, photos and other personal stuffs. Most tech in the repair shops are just after of making the computer work again without regard to data in it. Better late than sorry, please make sure that the Dell tech recovers the data first. This is very important especially if they will restore the computer into its factory settings. All data will be lost and the computer will work like brand new.

But if the Dell tech will use a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 DVD installer to perform the repair, then your files will be safe as it is only the Windows installation will be repaired and affected in the process. So better ask the tech how or what is his repair route: If he says he will restore to factory settings, STOP! Recover the data first. But if he says they will use the Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 DVD installer, he can proceed as your data will be safe.

I have already exhausted all the possible procedures to fix your Windows 10 but your Dell installation and drivers always reverts to the faulty profile and the rollback to Windows 8.1 could have been interrupted causing this boot issues now.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if I was able to help and to close this question. Tips are always highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess