The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

I have another excel formula Issue PC Guy to help me on.

Customer Question

I have another excel formula Issue for THE PC Guy to help me on.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

if you send an example file, that would be helpful

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey PC Guy you just helped me about an hour ago on an excel formula. I need that data to not change when I use a different reference number acn we do that thing again so you can see my spreadsheet
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

maybe we will set something for tomarrow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i will be availible in the afternoon. my time of course

it is currently 9:00AM where I am.

This time I am sending an offer of additional service. It took too much of my time last time and was not very worth while for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why such an increase i with this request i already hace $96 in this one formula, lets be fair about it
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

my expertise is expensive, this is not knowledge I gained over night but 20 years experience working in excel.

However I will give a discount. But note that my rates are already considerably discounted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i already just paid 48 for this 2nd time help can't pay more, youre not being fair
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i was not paid yet on this question. That does not happen until after I help you. But I will open your question up to other experts if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are very disapointing to me. Seems like you are taking advantage for me. I am not satisified with my answer from yesterday.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you feel this way.

you are also taking advantage of me. I spent over an hour with you yesterday. And gave you a working solution. You said "this is great", "It works".

You now have another unrelated issue and you expect me to spend more time for free. I told you I was willing to help you, but I cannot work on a 2nd issue for free.

I can also open this question up to another expert if that is what you wish.

If you feel that my 20 years of experience in this application is not useful to you then I will refer you to someone else. The formula I gave you yesterday gives you exactly what you requested, after I was finally able to understand what it was you wanted.

I have to make a living too, so cut me a little slack.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't mention the formula only work temporary that i would loose my data if i changed my reference number. I even gave u am excellemt rating and a 20% bonus.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

why would you loose your data if you change the reference number? The you can add as many sections for reference numbers as you want. If you have 100 reference numbers then you should have 100 of the sections that calculate balance if that is what you need?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know but it will not hold my data, it changes as i change reference numbers
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

well you would need to be more specific

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remember i had a reference out out of a data base of 160, my end results was on a spreadsheet, iwanted the end result to appear at a different location. but i wanted to hold this data unil used this reference number again. but when i change the reference number it deleats my old data from the reference number you gave me this formula -INDEX(W:W, MATCH(B238,C:C,O)+9
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

if you change B238? is that the reference number you are changing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i change w221, the value in w230 changes an then i want that data in the approperate reference colum y237:y393
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you want me to send a copy of the spreadsheet again
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

yes do so

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your email address
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

the only way to send to me is through***@******.*** and they will forward it.

But like I said the other day it may take a while for them to get it to me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent it by way of Wikisend.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also sent through Email to you
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

do you have the wikisend link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wikisend is acting up, I have the old link number 68227
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
923762 is the new number
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

the 2nd number did not work, will just have to wait for the email I guess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just let me know. Thanks john
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
will do so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got a text from Wikisend and they said the file is under 805976 or 723962
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i have the sheet, when did W221 come into play.

You never mentioned W221 in your original request

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 4different spreadsheets but they are all the same except different cell numbers, figure this out and I will pay u the $69 u want. Thanks John
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

so you are basically just looking for the same formula to be applied to other sheets as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have u got the spreadsheet in from of u now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P
I already know how to do that. I am at the Doctors office now. Can we meet at 1pm central time.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i have the sheet, I will cehck back later

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at home in front of my PC now. Thanks John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am home now
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
I am confused again. First you mentioned a cell that was not mentioned previously. then you said you just wanted the same thing on 4 different sheets. Then you said something diferent
so which is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please pull the sheet up and get wirh me and I can explain without any confusion ok
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i have the sheet up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see the number in C221
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

which sheet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I change the number in c221 i want the data to stay in y242 when i change the number inc221. the problem is that the data changes.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

which sheet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Base P & L Reports Sheet
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

i see, its number 40

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok want the results of 40 (C221)which is in cell w230 to transfer to cellY242, then when i enter the number 7 in cell221 i want the data in y242 to stay therein Y242, and when i enter new data in c221 i want the data from the number 40 stay in y242 and when i enter the the the new data ( the number 7 in celc221 , which changes the results in w230 I want the results from data "40") to be in Y243with out erasing Y242.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

ok, unfortunately this cannot work.

You can't have it both ways, the formula will change the data when the number in C221 changes. This is due to the way whoever set up the sheet in the first place did it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well how can i make it work. my boss want this info as soon as possible. Seperate data base???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent you a simpler file through Wikisend .com the number is789758. Please look at it and see if you can make it work. If not,well just look at it please
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

it can't be done with a formula. Maybe with a macro. But that will make it more confusing for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok . i'm done
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.

so the idea behind it would be that you would have to push a button to make it work, rather than it being done automatically