Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

How can i copy and paste filtered and dden cells so i only

Customer Question

how can i copy and paste filtered and hidden cells so i only copy the rows and columns that are visible. i'm on a mac and I did the whole edit/go-to/special/visible cells only, but then when i copy and the try to paste to a new sheet it says "cannot with merged cells"!!! super frustrating!!!! please help!!!!!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your Excel issues. Can you send me a sample or dummy Excel file that you are working on so that I can directly check the structure of your data and provide you a solution? You can attach it here using the paper clip icon, or you can upload it to http://filesXpress.com and then give me the short download link.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. see attached.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing back with that sample file. Please give me a moment to check it.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for patiently waiting. This problem is caused by the fact that the "filtered" cells in column A are actually merged cells. You can copy merged cell but NOT when they are filtered.

In this case, you need to split those cells if you want to avoid this error.

I suggest that you split these cells and you can just use fill color to group them.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you want me to do my suggested method in the sample file you sent me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure please do...i'm not sure what you mean by splitting the cells
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Splitting the cells is actually un-merging the merged cells in column A. These merged cells are causing this problem because you cannot copy merged cells when you filter them -- unfortunately that is how Excel behaves so you need to split the merged cells in order to use filters and copy the hidden cells.

Please give me a moment to do the suggested steps in the sample file you gave me.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for patiently waiting. I have done the solution for your problem in the sample file that you gave me.
The main problem in your original setup is that, column A contains "merged" cells. They are fine and you can select or copy them. However, if you use filters, Excel will not allow you to copy the merged cell -- thus the error message.
The only solution to this is to UN-MERGE or split the merged cells.
In your data structure, there are 6 rows in each merged cells in column A. So you need to UN-MERGE or split them and the content of the merged cells will be stored in the top row. Just drag the fill handle of that cell to copy it to the 5 cells below it.
Since you have a lot of data in the sample file, it took me a while to complete it.
Please download and check the file in this link:
http://filesxpress.com/d-cedceec9
In the sample file, just do your filters and then you can select the visible data you want to copy and paste.
I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!
If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Jess