Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

I'm creating a form in Word 2008. I'm wanting text

Customer Question

I'm creating a form in Word 2008 for Mac. I'm wanting text fields to be set to a fixed length based on the length of the space available on the form for an answer rather than a set number of characters. Is this possible with Word 2008 for Mac?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Norman replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is, Mike. I'd like to try and assist you with your issue. Though I mainly provide PC support Word is primarily the same in both Mac and PC.

Typically in forms, fields are limited based on a maximum character limit and not the size of the box. However, you may want to try the following:

Right click on the text box and choose format text box. Then uncheck "Worwrap text to AutoShape" and uncheck "Resize AutoShape to fit text" and see if that limits your text.

Otherwise if know how many characters fit in the box then you can right click on the form field and choose properties and set the maximum character limit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got Word 2008 for Mac. No "right clicking" available. When I "control click" I get "properties" which brings up the "Text Form Field Options" from which I can limit the field to the number of characters but not a size. Is there some other way to get to the "format" popup menu you mention?
Per my previous statement, I think you are going to be restricted to using character limit and not actual text box size. You can attempt going to the top tabs and selecting the Format tab and in under the Insert Shapes group select the Edit Text option. This will give you the pop up that lets you turn on an off the AutoShape and Wordwrap capabilities.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for contributing. My questions are specific to Word 2008 for Mac. The answers you are giving are specific to Windows versions. Word 2008 for Mac does not have tabs. Word 2008 does not use the terminology for the various sub menus your mention or are these sub menus access through the procedures you've outlined for me. My question should not have been directed to you but rather should have been directed to a technician who is trained in Word 2008 for Mac. I don't know how to communicate this necessity to JustAnswer.com. Perhaps you can direct my comments to the appropriate area and hopefully I'll receive a response from JustAnswer.com so I know that they are correcting their protocols on fielding questions to qualified technicians. I am not suggesting that you are not qualified in Microsoft Office but it is clear that Word 2008 for Mac is not an area of strength. How do I proceed with alerting JustAnswer.com to the need for a review of their protocols?
I will gladly opt out of this question and let another expert step in. Alas I still think you are going to find that you are only going to be able to limit your form fields by character length rather than size of the text box. Good luck.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can provide you with some additional assistance. I read through your question understand that you wish to set the width of a field or multiple fields based on space available on the page. While every field will have a certain length associated with it in terms of characters, you can use the space on the page to limit the size of the field. The best way to do this is to insert a table on the page and then use the table cells for fields. The cells will provide you the structure to the fields with relation to the form. Just use one cell per field and insert or remove cells from the table as necessary. Every cell has a width property that you can set. Please let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That will work. Thank you! Now, is there a way to link text fields together? I've got a section of the form that has three lines (the form is going to be used in a print version but we wanted to make it available in an on-line fill-in-the-blank version, thus the question). You can see at the bottom of the first page of the form there are several lines used for descriptive information. Can these lines of text fields be linked so that when a user begins entering information on the first line it will jump to the next line once the preceding line is full?