NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have a ceiling light/fan, about 9 years old. I have changed

Customer Question

I have a ceiling light/fan, about 9 years old. I have changed the battery in the control unit, but it still doesn't work. Home Depot says it's too old to carry the control unit in stock. Can I order a new one on-line, or do I have to have an electrician come and install a new unit. The light/fan is in my very high dining room and we'd have to go through the attic to instill a new unit. On the Control unit are the numbers: FCCID:L3HMAY97FANHD. Model Fan-HD.
Thanks!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Norman replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is, Mike. I'd like to try and assist you with your issue. First of all you do not need to hire and electrician if you are not afraid to get up on a ladder and do the work yourself. Ceiling fan wiring is not complex at all and only consists of a few wires. Simply turn the breaker off for the room you are working in and you will be fine. As for the wireless controllers, these typically are installed behind the flush mount plate that sits against your ceiling and therefore would not require you to go into your attic to replace. You would have to simply drop the ceiling fan down to access the old unit and install the new one. Most ceiling fans have a hook on the bracket that you can use to suspend the ceiling fan motor in the air while you are working on them. You can even use a heave gauge wire to hold it for you. Here is a video I think may help give you a better understanding of the work involved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiIiI4037NE Hope this helps. - Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, Mike. We'll take it from there. Ione
My pleasure. This really is something that typical homeowner can do on their own. Given the expensive hourly rates electricians can charge, I always encourage my customers to try and take on small projects like this to save money. The only issue is if you are not afraid of heights or working on a ladder given the height of your ceiling. As long as you can overcome that, then this project should be no big deal for you to tackle.