Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

I have developed files excel and powerpoint, I'm able

Customer Question

I have developed files for both excel and powerpoint, I'm able to use Macros to protect and put in expiration dates for the excel files, but haven't figured out how to set expiration date in Power Point. I used to use IRM to do the above within PP but Microsoft no longer includes that in most of their Office Programs and most are not able to run and view PP except without expiration date. I have to be able to restrict time usage to protect my PP files. A number of years ago I was able to use VBA codes to do the above but have forgotten just how I did this. Is there a manual or something that I can purchase to re-learn how this was done.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions on this.
Leonard
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. There is a way to do this but it is not through programming. Rather, you can protect this and other office documents through rights management. To do this, you simply go to the file menu which will bring up the page with save and print options. Here is more information on offices rights management:http://bitli.es/GHWzBM In fact, I would suggest using this rather than using a programmatic solution even when you don't have to. Whatever you can do through VBA is not very secure and can always be undone. However, the rights management service by Microsoft (and offered by other companies as well) is designed strictly for this purpose and is very secure and effective. Please let me know if you still questions. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, I have been using IRM for years, the problem that has come up is the person receiving my protected files must have IRM also or they can not open the file. Microsoft in their Office 365 has removed this feature from the program. I had someone yesterday that I walked him through the process and it would not allow him to connect. Yes, I know the someone that knows can get around the VBA but not many have the knowledge to do this. I'm aware of that issue. I use VBA to protect excel spreadsheets but have found a way to deal with it and protects me 90% of the time. Any other suggestions as I'm going to ask for a refund of the charges since the problem really hasn't been solved.Leonard
Thank you for the reply Leonard. IRM has not been removed in office 365. It still functions as it did with previous versions of office. The reason I recommended this is because it is the most effective way. And when you share the document, you can specify whether people need to login or not. You can still manage rights to the document without requiring them to login. That's your choice when you share it. You're right though, it can be done with Visual Basic. It certainly wouldn't be foolproof but you can make just about anything happen with Visual Basic. The following code is very simple, but it will allow you to set a date after which the document cannot be used. Again, it's not secure but as you said if it's really not a security issue, it will effectively do what you wanted to. This one will work in Excel that you can adjust it to work with any office program. Private Sub Workbook_Open()Dim Edate As Date Edate = Format("31/12/2012", "DD/MM/YYYY") ' Replace this with the date you wantIf Date > Edate + 2 Then MsgBox "This workbook is Expired and will now close !!!"ActiveWorkbook.CloseEnd Sub