Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

I am running Outlook 2013 on my PC laptop on Win 8.1. I have

Customer Question

I am running Outlook 2013 on my PC laptop on Win 8.1. I have two outlook address books. When I select either of them and go to properties to mark them as an Outlook Address book neither of those windows allow me to check the box and apply. How can I get them to be searchable Outlook Address Books?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Perhaps you need to set the order in which Outlook searches your Address Books. Search order is a way of seeing that Outlook searches one first, then another Address Book.

I am not quite clear as to where the settings you are trying to use might be, so I cannot advise you on what you are doing that isn't working. Let me know, and I will advise you further.

But one basic bit of advice: be sure you have done Windows Update, and chosen all the Optional Updates that relate to MS Outlook, download and install them, then restart your computer... that might help, too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All Windows and Microsoft Updates are installed. Normally one selects one of the Address Books shown on the left side of Outlook and selects properties. There in the Outlook Address Book tab you can check the box to make the address book an Outlook Address Book. Mine cannot be checked. I have tried both the local contact file and the iCloud contact file. Neither can be selected.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Is the checkbox option to make an address book an Outlook Address Book, grayed out, when you select either of those Address Books? or is it unable to be used in a different fashion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Both address books are greyed out.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for responding with that information.

Go to the Control Panel. Locate the Mail icon, that looks like this:

graphic

and double-click on that.
Click on Add.
Enter a name for your new Mail Profile (you are re-creating it, it may be corrupted. That may be the problem.)
Select 'add a new mail account'
Select the right account type. Enter the details for your email account, and then create the new profile.
Then go to the bottom of the Mail applet, and select
Always use this profile
and then select the name of the profile you just created.
Click on OK, to close the Mail applet. (And, save the settings you just chose.)
Close all Outlook windows. Restart your computer. Open Outlook again.

See if that allows the operation of adding an Outlook Address Book.