Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

Tried eliminating duplicate dates and got program running partially

Customer Question

Tried eliminating duplicate dates and got program running partially but then stops with msg 'Field Instructor1 must have a value'. It did. Suspect a memory problem but can't remember how to increase this.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.
What program are you using specifically, Excel or Access? Also is your office version 2007, 2010, 2013 or mac office 2008, 2011 , 2015 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually neither. The old computer uses XP and my program is written in Delphi and uses Paradox databases. The program runs perfectly and lists 6000+ students and displays the required student and all particulars on screen. Office now has some new program and I was asked to produce an Excel database of my students. I added a button to my program to do this, putting the data into a new Paradox db which I was then going to translate to Excel (automatically) and copy to this computer (running Windows 7 professional) for transmission to the Office.Program allows first six students to be placed in new db but when I try to run 7 it sticks the first 6 in the db and then locks up with message "Project MEAExeForm.exe raised exception class EDatabaseError with message 'Field Instructor1' must have a value'. Process stopped. Use Step or Run to continue".FYI, there are twelve courses for each student (max), Some took only one. All the fields are correct and the first 6 students are OK. I thought perhaps this could be a memory problem but I've forgotten how to increase this.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Im not familiar with those programs ( other then excel)
For that reason I am going to opt out, this will return your question to the question pool. When another expert who has the appropriate skillset picks this up you will be notified by email that they have responded to you.
( If you have clicked account at the top right, and added your email address to your justanswer account)
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin,
Thank you, ***** ***** to someone contacting me, hopefully soon. No-one seems to use Delphi or Paradox anymore and I thought I'd retired years ago until this little problem came up.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I can provide you with additional assistance. Is there a field called "Instructor1"? If so, the field is set as a required field, and it isn't being entered - at least that's what the error is telling you. If that's the case, you may want to do a query on the table and eliminate any records, at least temporarily, that do not have a value for "Instructor 1".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,
Don't know how I got switched to Dustin S but he was absolutely no help and opted out. Explained situation on July 11th above.
More specifically am using TblEXL.db which has 19 fields for general student data followed by 9 fields for details of first course taken followed by another 9 for the second and so on for a max of 12 courses. For example, Course1, Start1, End1, Hours1,Certificate1,Place1,Location1,CourseName1,and Instructor1 and so on until last column is Instructor12.
Initial problem was caused by a student who took courses for Master Limited and Fishing Master Four (almost identical but with extra hours for FM4) and started both on same day. Program did everything right for first course but then freaked out because it went to 'next' and, of course, couldn't find that course. Solved that problem by eliminating FM4 which can be manually added later (there won't be many of these).
Then ran the program. It crashed.
Ran it again for one student only - worked fine. Ran it again for two students - worked fine. Increased to six students - fine.
Ran for 7 students and it crashed with error message specified July 11 above.Since then have tried drastically reducing program size (thinking maybe memory problem) but didn't work. Have also connected this old computer to the modem so that I could now let you access the program if this would help.Am going round the bend with this - its now 0515 in the morning so propose shutting down and getting some sleep. Please advise (email) of best time to switch to live phone call (preferably sometime after 9 AM)
Do you know if the application is using BDE to access the database? If so, you can use the SHAREDMEMSIZE parameter to increase the amount of memory that it can use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no phone call. Have to shut down and go out for few hours. Will contact again when I return.
I offered you additional services for the phone call. In order to receive the phone call, you will have to approve the additional services.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
. Sorry about that - will go for the extra as you seem to know something about Delphi/Paradox BUT would like to wait a couple of days. My major problem is that my wife has just been put in the hospital with Alzheimer's and I've got a lot of running around to do because of this. Would like to wait until Friday to get things sorted out.
Ok. Take your time. No time limit.