Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

How do I number pages of my ebook and how do I put the chapters

Customer Question

how do I number pages of my ebook and how do I put the chapters in sequence each chapter being a word file?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question. If you're intention is to publish it in a native e-book format like EPUB or Kindle, then you wouldn't use separate files as the source. In fact regardless of how you publish it, you will have to combine them either in word or somewhere else like Adobe Acrobat. There are many ways you can publish an e-book – one of them is PDF, but in general you'll be outputting the document to filtered HTML to input to a "flowable" textbook format. This is the preferred format because of the different size screens in different size text on various e-book readers, some of which allow the user to change the size of the text. When you have a native e-book format, regardless of the size of the text or the size of their screen, the text will flow properly from page to page. In the case of e-books, page numbers are not supported because there are no physical pages, so they aren't meaningful to the reader. You can still have a table of contents with links to the pages, you just won't have numbers associated with them. If you don't put this as a PDF and publish it as a PDF document, then you can add page numbers. But you would still have to combine the files in word in order to get the numbers to work. If there is some reason why you can't or don't want to combine them in word, you can work around that, but it will require some additional work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael, this is what I've done so far: book info ISBN etc, 13 chapters plus epilogue, and 10 illustrations (which are to be scattered between chapters) all the text is in Word and the drawings are jpg images, all edited and final-edited ready to upload, my problem is I have to be familiar with the few steps that this entails so that I can do it successfully and expand my profile at amazon-kindle ebook. I looked up my page (author central) I can't even find a toolbar to help me add the cover of my new book (all I have is the other from 2013, mindblowing / jp codnia. Would you guide me through?
Sure... where are you doing this? At Kindle Direct Publishing, or somewhere else?
The first step will be to use the "save as" in Word to save the book as a "filtered HTML" document. It will take a while to do that. Once it does, you will just zip that up and upload that to Amazon. It will pick it apart and make it an ebook. Let me know if you get as far as saving it in filtered HTML and we can resume from there.