Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I'm running outlook 2010. I've set my email accounts in

Customer Question

Hi, I'm running outlook 2010. I've set my email accounts incoming and outgoing encryption to SSL. Now every time I open outlook I get an alert "the server you are connecting to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified. The targeted principal name is incorrect" I understand I'm getting this error becouse the name on the cert is not the same as what in my email account settings and I'm okay with that. How can I continue using this certificate but suppress these alerts? I've tried this but it doesn't work. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/276597
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. So your email is still working, but you just want to get rid of that alert right?
What email do you use, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.?
Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm running windows 7 pro, outlook 2010 and a corporate email address. Yes your description of the issue is correct.
Can I connect remotely to your computer, so I can fix the issue directly on your computer together with you? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no im sorry this is a work computer not allowed to give remote access
Oh, sorry about that. Does your corporate email use SSL / secure setting? Please try the followings:
- Close Outlook
, then click on Start\Control Panel\Network and Internet\Internet Options
, then click on Advanced tab at the top
, then scroll down to the Security section
, then uncheck the box at the option "Check for publishers' certificate revocation"
, then click OK
, then restart the computer, then check Outlook.
Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it uses ssl but the cert im using is a general cert. your suggestion above did not work
Sorry, what port numbers are you using? And are you using POP or IMAP? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
imap incoming is 993 outgoing is 465
Can you test setting up a new Outlook profile, then set up with SSL right away, and see if that works without alert? Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just tested new account and it still does it
Do you know if any of your co-worker is able to use his/her corporate email with SSL without getting that alert? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no its the same for everyone
Did your corporate IT department say anything about this email issue? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are a small company don't have an IT department. Again, I know whey the problem is happening. What I need is to suppress the message in outlook.
I'm sorry, I don't have any other suggestion, but let me open the issue to other experts. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you open it to others?
Yes, I did. Sorry, we have many experts working on different shifts and depending on the difficulty of any issue, it may take long. But don't wait; you will get an email when there is a suggestion from another expert. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Go to the registry again and go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook
Add another value EnableSRFeatures and set it 1 (one)
Then restart the computer and tell me if this suppresses the error please
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes I had already tried that too but it doesn't help. To confirm EnableSRFeatures should be set as DWORD?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes
Please do the following in Internet Explorer
Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options
Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.
Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset
Then restart the computer and tell me if you still get the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i followed your steps above and it still doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you any other suggestions? if not please open to other experts.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, than do the following please
Download CC Cleaner (free) from here
CC Cleaner
(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)
Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.
Once done, restart the computer
Than
Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Than tell me if you still get the message please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is happening to all of the computers at the office. In other words its not just this machine. Therefore I don't believe its a corrupted registry issue. I don't like installing or running any unnecessary software on my computer. I'm sure you understand. Unless you can convince me otherwise I prefer not to do this.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, but then I will have to opt out for another expert.
You do not need to do anything, you will be notified when another expert takes over your case.
Thanks and all the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.