Freddy M.
Freddy M., Computer Support
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Someone sent me an xlsx attachment and I cant open, how do

Customer Question

Someone sent me an xlsx attachment and I cant open, how do I open it?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What version of excel do you have on your computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe its 2013

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok it should open that file then if you have excel installed.
Save the xlsx file to your desktop rather than opening it directly.

Right click on the saved file and click on open with in the right click menu.
Choose excel from the list, if it is not listed let me know.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is an attachment on an email I received and I cant click on it to open it

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You should still be able to save it even if you can not open it, is it not letting you do that either? What email service or client are you using?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
..
..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what he is using, it is a large company, I can open it on my laptop, just not my desktop

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You are not on the computer with the problem? I need to know what email service/client you are using not the sender. What happens when you try to save it like I just asked you to do above?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am on the computer that cant open the file, I am using yahoo email, nothing happens, I cant click on it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Can you right click on it? If you do what options do you see? What internet browser are you using? On the computer that does work are you using the same email? If you try the mobile version of the site:

http://m.yahoo.com/mail

Will it allow you to open the attachment?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

never mind, you are just guessing at stuff, Ill figure it out.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am not guessing I am troubleshooting which needs to be done for issues like these, I can not help you without that info and can not know what is causing your problem without info. Just like a mechanic would not know what is causing a noise just from someone saying "the front part goes ping alot". You could have had any email service at all, you did not mention another computer before. The mobile test will tell me if it is your computer or the site itself. So if you would like to work on troubleshooting to resolve the issue let me know the information I asked for before.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it has nothing to do with the email server, it has to do with the version of excel/office they are using in sending to me.