Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

I saved over a word doc by mistake - 2010. can I recover

Customer Question

Hi, I saved over a word doc by mistake - 2010. can I recover the original?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today by addressing your question. If you did this with the document open, then you can try to undo changes that you have made and Word will still "remember" them. However if you closed the document then the changes are permanent unless you: 1. Had track changes enabled you are able to see your changes and reject your changes. 2. If you are using a backup or a cloud save you can check to see if you have a previous version that has not yet been synced. 3. If you are using Windows Vista or later and have activated shadow copies, you could get the file back by right clicking on the file in Explorer and choosing "Properties". If the shadow copy functionality is available, there should be a "Previous Versions" tab. If shadow copies was activated, the tab should list one or more previous versions of your document.(See: This Link for more information)If none of the above worked, then unfortunately you are out of luck in recovering those modifications.Let me know if this answers your question,Dan