Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Hi. Excel for Mac 2011 Vers 14.3.3...Trying to just highlight

Hi. Excel for Mac 2011 Vers 14.3.3...Trying to just highlight my data (20 columns, 400 rows) so that I get a pulldown on each column so I can sort and filter. In Windows, I used to use the List function I think. How do I do this with Mac?
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

You use the Filter function for this

On the Standard toolbar, click the Filter button.

Click the arrow in the column that contains the content that you want to filter.

Under Filter, click Choose One, and then in the pop-up menu

This will apply the filter and the drop down list.

You can toggle it on and off with Command + F

For more information on this, you can refer to this article

Click Me To Open

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Richard, I had received a spreadsheet that already had 10 columns all with pulldowns. I then inserted additional columns and populated those with data, but they did not have a pulldown...Based on your reply, I found "Filter" under the "Data" heading in the top textual menu. I "unchecked" it and then "rechecked" it. It then made the existing columns and the ones I added all pulldowns! Is it really this stupidly simple? How did it know to do this? The spreadsheet that I had added to also has a a group of cells above the data that summarizes some of the data, but the Filter function knew now to try and deal with this...Was that by some fortunate mistake or mouse placement on my part or is it naturally this smart?

It is very smart Jen, they have had 20 years to practice :)

But the Filter is very intelligent in how it works.

Good to know you got this running, and If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you