Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

How do I CHANGE FROM METRIC TO INCHES

How do I CHANGE FROM METRIC TO INCHES
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Can you provide some more information, which software exactly are you using?

Please let me know so I can further assist.
Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am using MS Word. I got a document from a friend, and opening it somehow changed my ruler (for margins) to metric instead of inches. I want to change it back to inches. The rest of the computer is still on U.S. settings so that's not the issue. BRB

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Got it, thanks for the information.

Depending on which version of word you are using this setting is in different places.

If you are using word 2007 , click on the Office button on the top left and choose Word Options next choose Advanced and then choose Display.

Change the setting for "Show measurements in units of".

If you are using word 2010 click File then click Options and next click advanced. Look under display for "show measurement in units of" and change back to inches.

Most versions of word aside form the ones I mentioned have the setting in the same place.

If you cannot find it please reply back and let me know the exact version you have.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Expert with over 10 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your advice was easy to follow, and it did the trick. Everything is back to normal.

Actually, I lived in Sweden for two years and became thoroughly familiar with the metric system. I use it exclusively in my woodworking. However, I decided to stay with the foot-pound-inch system for MS Word.

Personally, I would strongly recommend the metric system--no fractions, fewer errors, easier to work with. However, it was "not invented here," so it may be a long time in coming.

Bob Tuve

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob,

That is great news , thanks for letting me know.

True about the metric system, I believe many find it better but being an American I am sad to say I don't know it that well.

If you have a moment please rate my service by clicking on one of the faces below.

Thank you,
Chris