businesslegions, IT Consultant
Experience:  An IT Consultant with over 10 years experience

In Microsoft Excel 2013 with Windows 8.1 just installed:The

In Microsoft Excel 2013 with Windows 8.1 just installed:

The list of Recently Open files doesn't update. The currently opened file shows up for about one second and then disappears (right in front of my eyes).

I have several instances of this suite installed in different computers (laptop and desktop) and all version SYNC the recent-files list EXCEPT one computer.

Tried already both the "Repair" option as well as a disintall-reinstall.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Does the problem happen only for Excel or it happens for other Microsoft Office products such as Word and PowerPoint as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if my previous answer arrived so I am answering again: yes, same problem in word

Hi, Oscar!

Sorry but for some reason, your first reply didn't arrive. This one (second) did.

Since the problem is not only in Excel, but Word as well, I suggest completely uninstalling Microsoft Office 2013, only this time not via Control Panel, but using the Microsoft Office 2013 uninstall tool.

So, exit all Microsoft Office products and then download and run the Microsoft Office 2013 uninstall tool, available on THIS LINK.

Extract the contents of the zipped file and run the uninstall tool. It will completely uninstall Microsoft Office 2013 and won't leave leftovers, so next time you reinstall Microsoft Office 2013, it would be as you are installing it for the first time.

Restart your computer after the uninstall and then reinstall Microsoft Office 2013.

I hope Excel, Word and other Office products will function normally!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the help I ran trough the Unistall but I am still having the same problem.

One thing that I have noticed is that IF I open a file from SkyDrive and then go to the FILE->OPEN tab, I see that file under "Recent" for about 3 seconds and then it disappears right in front of my eyes but if I open a file on the desktop, this doesn't happen.

This is different than the behavior on other computers with this setup.

Also, if I go to the SKyDrive site I see RECENT files that were opened on other computers but not this one.

Finally, in case you ask, SkyDrive is logged in on my computer.

By the way: I am not sure how different this un-install was from the others as outlook did NOT loose the mail profile and Excel is logged in my Microsoft Account.

Hi again!

Sorry for the delay, I was away from the computer yesterday.

I thought the Microsoft Office 2013 uninstall tool would help restoring default settings, but it seems there are no changes.

Anyway, here is what you can do:

1. Start Microsoft Excel 2013 - open any workbook

2. Click FILE and then Options

3. When the Excel Options window opens, click on the Advanced tab

4. Scroll down to the Display section and there you will see an option to specify how many recently opened workbooks to remember. By default, it should be 25

5. Since remembering recently opened workbooks don't seem to be working for you, you can set the number to 0 and click OK and then exit Microsoft Excel 2013. After that, restart it and set back 25 or any other number you want. That action should reset settings for remembering recent workbooks. Hopefully, Excel will now remember recently opened workbooks, both from your local computer as well as remote SkyDrive server

If not, an alternative is to enable an option called Quickly access this number of Recent Workbooks. It is located in the Display section as well. When enabled, Excel will show recently opened workbooks on the FILE ribbon, below the Options menu

You can make the same changes for Word and other Microsoft Office products.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again.

Unfortunately I already tried this procedure. Anyhow, I tried it again but it did not improve the situation.

Please remember that, in my mind, the clues to the problem are (1) same problem across office products and (2) only related to files on SkyDrive.

The strangest thing is how open SkyDrive files show for a few seconds and then (right in front of my eyes) disappear.

It could be that the location for saving recently opened workbooks from SkyDrive has not been created in the Windows Registry since Microsoft Office stores information for recently opened files there.

Please open one or several Excel workbooks from SkyDrive within Microsoft Excel. After that, exit Microsoft Excel and check the Windows Registry:

1. Press the Windows logo key and R key simultaneously to bring up the Run... box. There type regedit and press Enter

2. When the Registry Editor opens, expand the registry keys (folders) there to navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > 15.0 > Excel > Security > Trusted Documents > TrustRecords

3. When you click on the TrustRecords folder, you should see items on the right side of the window - representing recently opened workbooks (links to the SkyDrive).

Do you see them there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the register there are two files but not the ones that I have currently pinned and the file list does not changed after opening and closing (or trying to pin) different files.

I checked Word, in the register for Word there is one document which is NOT the same as the two pinned in the app when I open it.

Please delete the following registry keys:

1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > 15.0 > Excel > Security > Trusted Documents > TrustRecords

2. HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > 15.0 > Excel > User MRU

After that, exit Windows Registry and start Microsoft Excel. Open any workbook and then exit. Start Microsoft Excel again and check if the record of recently opened workbook will stay on the Microsoft Excel list.

Also, try with the Quickly access this number of Recent Workbooks option. You should see recently opened workbooks when you click on the FILE in the Microsoft Excel, below the Options menu.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Done.

Unfortunately it still does the same thing.

Now the recent list is empty (no longer have the two pinned items).

When I open a file, I see, temporarily that file in the recent list, I can pin it but (in both cases) it will disappear in a few seconds (even if pinned).

(Could it be that it is trying to Synch with the recent files list on the cloud, as it should be, and is unable to update?)

Please note that the USER MRU was re-created but the other key not.

By the way, for some reason, on my other computer (only one of the two others) when I open a SkyDrive file I get asked if I trust this document, this never happens here, could it be a security issue?

I am really not sure what the cause of the problem might be.

So, this problem happened after upgrading to Windows 8.1 and it only affects documents opened on SkyDrive? Local documents remain on the list of recently opened files without a problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX second question: Yes, it only applies to documents on the SkyDrive. Also note that on all other installations the recent list not only works but SYNCs with all other instances on other devices. Local documents remain in the list.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX first question: I updated to windows 8.1 but am not sure that the two are linked, can't really pin down when the problem first occurred, I suspect the upgrade also because SkyDrive is handled differently in 8.1.

Upgrading to Windows 8.1 could easily be that cause of the problem since I have seen all kinds of reports from people that many programs had stopped working or sudden changes appeared. In those cases, reinstallation of the program usually helps. However, in your case, reinstallation of the Microsoft Office 2013 doesn't seem to bring any changes.

Anyway, are you accessing SkyDrive contents within Microsoft Excel (FILE > Open > SkyDrive) or you installed a SkyDrive desktop app and you access your documents from the synced folder?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I usually access them directly from Excel (FILE-> OPEN -> SkyDrive ..) but even going through the File System doesn't make any difference.

You could open and save documents within a folder on your computer that is not synced by SkyDrive and then manually transfer them to the SkyDrive folder afterward since SkyDrive synced documents don't appear on the list of recently opened items.

Other than that, I am out of ideas so, if you like, I can opt-out and open this question to other Experts so they can take a look at the problem.

Sorry for not being able to solve this problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Could not answer question
Hi there,

Are you able to check whether there is the skydrive program installed on this computer?

If there is can you please uninstall. Restart, then run CCleaner from here:

Then install the skydrive program again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DId what you did except re-install SkyDrive since Windows 8.1 doesn't need it (built in).

Can't see where to put the smiley faces, please close this thread and I will rate.

Do you see the smiley faces now?
businesslegions, IT Consultant
Experience: An IT Consultant with over 10 years experience