MrBargain
MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Friendly Neighborhood Geek... Certified Tech, Webmaster, SEO, More! 18+ Years IT Experience

Outlook Mac 2011 14.3.5. Have a giant amount of mail in a mailbox

Customer Question

Outlook Mac 2011 14.3.5. Have a giant amount of mail in a mailbox I don't use actively, but want to have access on demand. If it were a Windows machine, I'd want that email addresses inbox & Sent Items to be in a .pst file, extracted from the main .ost file.

How can I do that?
Thank you,
--jeff
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  MrBargain replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jeff, my name isXXXXX you are already familiar with the .PST format, it will be easy to explain how it works on Outlook for Mac.

Archiving or exporting your emails, contacts, and other items in a Mac are done with a Mac Data File (.olm). Do this: On the File menu, click Export, click Outlook for Mac Data File, select an option to filter by category or item type. If you want to export all your items, click Items of the following types and then select all the check boxes. Click the right arrow and then follow the instructions to finish exporting.

Please give that a try and get back to me with some details if you run into any problems and I will do my best to keep offering some advice on archiving your messages.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Stefan, thank you for the help. Can I export one of my 3 mailboxes, but not the other two? Or do I have to do the entire Mail file when I choose "Items of the following types?"

Also, what is the current name of the file with my Outlook data? How may I find it? Would love to have it backed on my Dropbox.

Hi Jeff, thanks for getting back to me. Sorry my bad, I forgot that part... yes select items that are in a category and then select what you need instead of items of the following types. Example follows:

graphic
Hi Jeff,

I missed that last part of your question, sorry about that. The files are in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity. Under that directory, e-mail is stored in Data Records/Messages.

Outlook stores only the indices in the Database file (notice the capital D) and then stores the data records as files within folders.
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Database~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Data Records
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Almost there. Did the export overnight. 16gb.

It's my understanding that, in Windows, I can have a different .pst for each mailbox. I have 3 in my Mac Outlook. Is it possible to create a .olm for ONLY one at a time?

Expert:  replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jeff, apologies for the delay. Unfortunately, there is no way to do single folders. However, I have found an article that discusses some sort of work-around, but it's not really the solution you are looking for.
Read the article here: http://goo.gl/EMrkXl

Please let me know if I can be or more assistance?
MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Friendly Neighborhood Geek... Certified Tech, Webmaster, SEO, More! 18+ Years IT Experience
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Stefan, I did the .olm file export. Unfortunately, outlook gives me the spinning wheel for hours until I force quit. I have Mac Office 2011 install media. Should I uninstall/reinstall Outlook?

At the end of the day, I need to unload significant chunks of my outlook; the .olm file is 16 gigs. On a PC, I just load and unload .pst files. Ideas?

THANK YOU!