Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

Ill do my best to explain our desired result.

I'll do my best to explain our desired result. We currently have several hundred of "Small" web pages that display small tables of data. (approx 8 columms x 6 rows ... at present we do this graphically - ugh) We'd like to upload 'ONE' large Excel file with multiple tabs to our web server. We'd like then, all our "Small" web pages to look at the Excel file and then 'display' the desired results. Upload a new Excel file and several hundred of "Small" web pages display the new data. Can you help get us off the start line? Mike XXX-XXX-XXXX XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX an example of one of the 'Small' web pages 642.com/50008141.html

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

To start with Mike, do you have a database technology available?

EG: Microsoft Access.

And what type of web pages are these?

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I do have Access on my computer, have not used it.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
And what type of web pages are these?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

They are very basic. just a graphic. and a couple links. an example www.642.com/50008141.html

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Mike.

Bascially what you need are two things.

An Application Server and a Database.

The webpages need to run within an Application Server. The most common one is Microsoft IIS. This comes on Windows Servers.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa733738(v=vs.60).aspx

Basically, this allows you to write computer code in the webpages which is needed in order for it to connect to and retrieve data from the database.

The second part is the database. In your case, you can use MS ACCESS and just use the Data Storage (tables) part of this.

What you would do, is have the Excel file automatically import into the ACCESS Database, then the webpages would be calling this data from ACCESS to display.

An example of a webpage doing this, you can review here.

Click Me To View

But in essense, you need a Application on the web (This is the webpages running in IIS) and a Back End Database (this is MS Access).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Looks like huge steps for me. I was hoping for something like a bookmark, named cell, link to a frame or (?) that would allow an Excel value to 'reflect' onto something onto the page. maybe like Excel can show values from other files .. What would you recommend to me for a possible course of action. are you related to tutorialspoint?

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
No, I am not related to tutorialspoint, it was just a good example for you.

You are best to hire a developer in Mike to do this for you, someone who is experienced with Databases and Website Application Development.

It is internet Technologies your dealing with, completly different to static web pages and local software programs.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues