The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support

Im using Office 97 in a Windows 7 environment. I want to

Customer Question

I'm using Office 97 in a Windows 7 environment. I want to keep a running balance in one column, so need a formula that allows one cell (beginning balance) to remain constant while other cells adjust with each row. My old way of doing it (which worked) was to put $ signs in front of the cell address (e.g. $k$8) that I want to keep constant, adding it to each row's formula. I keep getting wrong answers, the math is way off. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 2 years ago.

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Andrew, I will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

are all of the values of the 3 columns in the same row?

JACUSTOMER-yjvad857- :

No. The beginning balance is on the top row. But I just checked back to the worksheet I used last year and realized that I didn't need to make the beginning balance a constant since the previous row will always be the current balance! Don't know when I didn't catch that earlier -- guess I was just too tired. Thanks for listening! My current problem is solved.

The-PC-Guy :

no problem

The-PC-Guy :

let me know if you need anything else