The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support

I need a conversion for lumber from Net Tally (actual, after

I need a conversion for lumber from Net Tally (actual, after kiln drying) to Green Tally as though the widths were measured when the lumber green (fresh sawn) before shrinking during drying. The average shrinkage is about 7%.

I can supply the example tally sheet with formulas if you need it but here is what is should look like:

34567891011121314151617181920
Packing List - Tally Sheet
Package   NumberLength
Actual Net Tally
<- Widths ->Piece CountBoard Feet
3"4"5"6"7"8"9"10"11"12"13"14"15"16"17"18"19"20"
215  586351      28243
 16  11286810612    72685

Package NumberLength
Converted to   Green Tally
 <- Widths -> Piece CountBoard Feet
215  2864512         28261
 16  719138911311       72737

This tally shows widths from actual tally to allow for 7%   shinkrage during kiln drying                  
  Formula needs to convert widths so that they end in columns   where end calculation matches Net Tally + 7%                   

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

Could you provide the actual sheet?

you can attach it using the paperclip icon at the top of this chat window

it says image

but works for excel files also.

let me know if you have any trouble
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Attachment: 2013-11-01_195753_sample_net_2_grn_tly.xlsx

Let me know if you get it. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Please note that the green tally results need to adjust the net tally widths to the green tally. I'm guessing it needs a formula in each cell in the width colums.

i got it.

I am not understanding what you want though.

PLEASE TRY TO USE CELL REFERENCES WHEN EVER POSSIBLE.

a cell reference works a follows

in excel

rows are numbered 1,2,3...ect.. going down the left of the sheet

columns are numbered with letters A,B,C...ect... going across the TOP of the sheet.

A Cell reference would be A1

A1 would refer to the first row and the first column

another example would be B3

B3 would refer to the 3rd row and the 2nd column

now given that information

can you describe to me what you need in those terms.

You can say things like for example

I want cell E15 to be 7% greater than cell E9

does this make sense, as this would really help me to be able to help you.

If this gets too confusing, I can orrfer to do a remote connection to your computer and see your screen and you can show me exactly what you need.
would you prefer to do a remote session and you could show me exactly what you need?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Maybe I can explain it a little better. IF you look at the formuals in the BOARD Feet column, that calculates the volume based on the number of boards (pieces) under each width. Number of pieces in each width on the net tally are shown as

5"6"7"8"9"10"11"12"13"
586351

The green tally needs to take the widths from the net tally and adjust them such as (I did this by hand but need formulas which would move widths from the net tally width column to the green tally column so the end result of the board feed calculation on the green tally sheet equals the net tally board feet calculation +7%

Such as:

5"6"7"8"9"10"11"12"13"
2864512
719138911311

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

we can do a remote session if you need it, or your can call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

ok

I think I made the changes for you.

http://ge.tt/2VkwZww/v/0?c

I hope I understood what you wanted.

Also I changed the formula in the board feet column, to make it more manageable.

please let me know either way

if this was not it then I will give you instructions on the remote session.

thanks
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Close, but no cigar, yet. The piece count total must remain constant. This much match the actual number of boards in the pack of lumber.

The green tally needs to pull pieces from the net tally and spread the pieces across the green tally width columns so that the end result is net footage+7%

let me do a remote session. Because I need you to show me

to do this goto this page

https://join.me/

click the orange start meeting button

download/run the application

at the top center of your screen will be a window that looks like this

graphic

I will need the 9 digit number they give you

paste that here.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
solution provided via remote

Hi, I never received your rating?

Are you having problems with what I showed you?

or Are you just not sure how to rate?

hello?
I have helped you,

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE SO I GET PAID FOR MY TIME.

Thanks
Please press the "Reply to Expert" button so we can continue our conversation
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks. I'm attaching the full workbook so maybe you can see better what we use (Well, I can't get it to attach, do you have an email address I can send it to?). We enter the actual widths on the net tally page (different pages for different thicknesses). If you look at any of the green tally pages, you can see a formula that I can up with to convert widths from the net tally page to the green tally. Unfortunately, my formulas don't work out exactly. Maybe you have a better idea. Also, I couldn't ger your workbook using the "sumproduct" formula to round the totals correctly.

I may be able to get the formulas fixed for you. Is the simulator giving you the results you are looking for?

Please upload the workbook to

www.wikisend.com

or

www.ge.tt

both sites work the same way

you first upload the file

then they give you a link

paste that link here.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Here it is.

http://wikisend.com/download/408058/Net 2 Grn Tly.xlsx

As I said, what I came up with doesn't work so another thought, could a formula in each cell of the "Piece Count" column force it. I'm not the pro, just bumbling my way through.

the simulator should be able to do this for you.

I do not know any formula that would properly calculate this for you unless everything was constant, and from what you said. It is not, inotherwords even though the total of the 2nd set will be 7% greater than the first one. You said that not all boards will be 7% greater some will be more and some less, just that the total width needs to add up to 7% greater than the initial width with the number of boards being the same.

So this is what solver does.

Did you have problems with using solver as I showed you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The total piece count and the pieces per width must always be whole integers, not decimals, so in this case, solver doesn't work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

If it is impossible for Excel to do what I need, let me know. I certainly appreciate your efforts and of course will approve your payment for the work you've done.

it is possible to force the conditions to use whole numbers by adding a condition for that in solver.

Here is the first set of numbers cells E12 - J12 on Green Taly 4 sheet

that my solver came up with

3 7 7 4 4 3

tell me if this works for you

IF these values are the values you were looking for, it would be possible to create a macro to do it for all rows for you at once. so you wouldn't have to run solver on each row.

There would be an additional charge for this if you want it.

But I know it works, and those numbers that came back are all integers

let me know what you want to do
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX 377443 are the ones that don't work. Let's just leave it as is and close the case. Thanks anyway for trying to help. I just don't want to put any more of my personal money into it since I was trying to come up with something to provide a "service" to one of my customers.

sorry, I tried everything I know. I was hoping it would ultimately work for you.

I understand though

Cool PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICE SO I GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME: Cool

you may do so with the smiley faces underneath this chat window
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Smile Thanks for you efforts.

your welcome!

Wish I could do more. If you do come up with a more definitive way of doing what you need, for example if you tell me that every board on green will be exactly 7% more than the others. I could work out a formula with that. But the solver is the only way to do this guessing scenario, if that did not work for you, then I am truely sorry!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The problem is that in actuality, any board between 4.5" and 5.49" is counted as 5", 5.5" and 6.49" as 6" and so on. Each board shrinks 7% but in shrinking 7% doesn't always loose a full inch in measure. We have to work in averages to cover our loss in measure between net and green. We buy the lumber in green and dry it. Most customers buy on net tally measure and then it's no problem as we calculate the loss into the price. Some customers buy on green tally and still no problem, except in the case where a customer wants it on a green tally as though the boards were measured before kiln drying and shrinking.

are you talking about the display what is shown on the screen, or are you talking about the actual lengths your equipment produces.

Because it is really easy to have the screen display 5.5 or 5.49, it is also easy to use 5.5 or 5.49 in a calculation 5.49 x X dollars for example.

You are correct 5" * .93% = 4.something inches, not 4 or 5, so the screen will round and display 5, is this the problem you are experiencing?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Not really. The numbers shown and calculated results always have to be whole numbers.

I was trying to explain that a 5" board (for example) could stay a 5" (4.75/0.93=5.11 which is a 5" board) or it could be a 6" (5.25/0.93=5.65" which is a 6" board), etc.

Since widths entered on the net tally sheet are whole numbers and the numbers on the green tally sheet (piece count in widths: columns) must be whole numbers, it's a matter of spreading out the widths on the green tally sheet so that the end result in the board feet calculation equals the net/0.93.

I am so lost.

I think at this point I have given you all of the advice I could.

I cannot spend any more time on it sorry.

I did my best, XXXXX XXXXX doesn't work out for what you need then it may not be possible to do.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

LOL! I understand. I've been working in the lumber business for 41 years and still it's hard to explain to a noviceTongue Out. But then sometimes I have a hard time understanding computer speak.

I really appreciate your trying.Laughing

sure.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

LaughingThanks for all your effortsLaughing

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I've rated it. I agree to pay the $38. "That's all folks"

thanks