Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Just sorting more than one column by a-z then numerically

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

This is Excel correct?

To clarify, you want to sore on multiple columns?

And which version of Excel is this?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Excel, yes, 2010 (I know this is sooo easy and obvious) Frown

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Justin.

In Excel, click on the Columns you want sorted, so they are highlighted.

Click on the Data Tab, then click Sort.

There you add multiple levels.

So the first row is the first column to sort on

Then click Add Level, and add the second Column to sort on.

You can continue this for all columns.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We're close: I have column C (which is street names) and column D (which is house numbers) so I do Column C (A-Z) and then for column D the value cannot be numerical (it says A-Z, Z-A, and then "custom" which just offers things like month names.

What's missing here?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will auto detect the values in the Cells. If you have letters, it will say A-Z

You can use A-Z and it will work.

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It asks if I want to "sort anything that looks like a number, as a number" which I naturally do but it won't expand the selection so that the names (in Column A) sort along with it. I'm missing some step, I suspect...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Provide me the file and I will do it Justin

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would like to but it keeps giving me "We are sorry, but an error has occured while uploading." Think you can coach me through? I feel like we're close.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It may be an issue with your computer

I made a request to connect directly with your computer

Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Click the below link and click START MEETING on the web page

www.joinme.com

It will download a program to your computer

Run the program by double clicking it, and it will give you a set of 9 numbers

Give me the numbers at the top of the screen (exaple: 456-789-123) in your message to me here please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

446-124-921

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Connecting now