sudipto_dutta, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting

How do I recover an unsaved word document. It disappeared

Customer Question

How do I recover an unsaved word document. It disappeared from the screen?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  sudipto_dutta replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question, before I give you the answer, please let me know, if you have restarted the PC after closing Word without saving the document ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I have not restarted my laptop.

Thanks Bill for the reply, honestly speaking recovering a unsaved document is not possible, unless word saved it automatically, but this can happen only after a certain period of time. You can follow the steps below to check for the document and let me know, how it goes for you.

After closing the Word file unwittingly, open up a new MS Word document again. Go to File – Info – Manage Versions. Click on the little dropdown and select Recover Unsaved Documents.

recover word 2010

MS Word opens the location where a copy of the draft resides.

recover word 2010

Now, it’s just a matter of selecting the draft, opening it up as a fresh MS Word document and saving it properly using the Save As button on the business bar at the top of the document; something which we ‘forgot ‘to do the last time around. Copies of unsaved documents are kept for four days and then they are automatically deleted.

recover word 2010

While opening the unsaved document, you can also make use of the Open& Repair feature for troubleshooting documents that might have got corrupted or damaged.

recover word 2010 document

You can browse to the following file locations to open the file manually, depending on your operating system:

Windows 7/Windows Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\<Application_Name>

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username> \Application Data\Microsoft\<App Name>

Saving of drafts takes place automatically in all applications within MS Office. The Auto Recover option kicks in if the document has been open for some period of time. You can easily change the Auto recover interval by going to File – Options – Save. The default is 10 minutes as indicated under – Save AutoRecover Information. I prefer setting it to a more frequent 3 – 5 minutes. Remember that AutoRecover may be a lifesaver, but it is not a substitute for the good habit of regularly saving your file while you are working on it.

recover word document

AutoRecover is a feature to rely on and more often than not it will help save you from all that can go wrong while working on a long document. Microsoft Office 2010 makes it slightly easier to get back an unsaved document than the earlier versions of Office. If you are still on MS Office 2007, check out how you can use AutoRecover to come to your rescue. We have a substantial lineup of other MS Word tips for you. Were you aware of this one?