The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support

Excel: Were trying to figure out how to compare two different

Excel: We're trying to figure out how to compare two different sets of inventory. We have inventory that's currently in our system and our distributor's inventory. Our goal is to see what new products our distributor has added.

Column A - Distributor's SKUs
Column B - Distributor's Product Descriptions

Column C - Our SKUs
Column D - Our Product Descriptions

The formula would compare Column C to Column A and show/highlight which items in Column A are missing from Column C.
Ideally, the Distributor's new SKUs and Product Descriptions would be displayed in Columns E & F. That way we don't need to try and match SKUs to their Description one at a time. Please let me know if you need a copy of our Excel file and I'll email it.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 8 months ago.

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

please send a copy of the file,

The-PC-Guy :

you can use the attach button

The-PC-Guy :

that is the paperclip icon at the top of this chat window if you see it

The-PC-Guy :

says image

The-PC-Guy :

but works on excel files too

The-PC-Guy :

does that work or do you need another way to send it?

The-PC-Guy :

so we are comparing numbers in column A to Column G?

Customer:

Sorry, stepped away from the screen. You are correct, there's SKUs in column A that aren't in column G.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So what you would like to have done is have any value that is in column A that is not in Column G and its corresponding Column B value put into columns E and F???

Is this correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, absolutely.

ok, I think I can make that work
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

It makes it so much easier to show both SKU and Description rather than just SKU

well I will do that.

Please check back in about an hour or so, should have it done for you by then
ok

the following file contains the example formula

what this does, is returns any value in column A that does not have a corresponding value in column G, and a blank where it does have a value in G. This way you can see which values in A are not in G also.

Columns E and F contain the values you wanted.

let me know if you need anything else

otherwise when you have a moment

Cool PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICE SO I GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME: Cool

you may do so with the smiley faces underneath this chat window
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Where would I find the file you're referencing?

oh shoot, let me resend it.

The link never appeared

http://ge.tt/8x3v7qw/v/0?c
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

We're in the middle of a massive data clean-up today, but we'll have a chance to verify your Function tomorrow. I'm sure it works, but we just don't have time to go through it today. We'll be sure to leave an excellent rating tomorrow. Thanks again!

ok, thanks for letting me know