Brandon M.
Brandon M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an System Administrator for law firm

I worked on merging a database with a word file yesterday,

I worked on merging a database with a word file yesterday, using excel and word 2010. After printing the merged document once, all the merged fields were only relating to the column heading in the database file instead of the various other rows of data and I could not select other documents to preview. I need to know what happened and how to fix this if possible
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 9 months ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

Brandon M. :

So, you see stuff like <<FirstName>>, correct?

Customer:

correct

Customer:

u there?

Brandon M. :

Great. Under the Mailings tab, there is a button called "Preview Results" - if it is lit up, click once on that and you should see that replaced with real data.

Brandon M. :

If it is grayed out, you'll need to select your data source again. You can do that from the Select Recipients button.

Customer:

ok let me pull up the file

Brandon M. :

Also, when you open the file, it may ask if it can run a query - make sure you say yes.

Customer:

it seems to work now. One more question then

Brandon M. :

Sure

Customer:

when I referred certain fields to a particular data in the database and it was supposed to come back as number and it comes back as 0 what is happening

Brandon M. :

Is it supposed to be a number other than 0 or is it supposed to be formatted like 0.00 ?

Customer:

It supposed to be a number such as 1,000 and it is imported as 0

Customer:

I think it may be related to the prior problem and it was fixed when I opened the file

Brandon M. :

Ah, so it is working now?

Customer:

Yes it looks like it is. I believe what happed is I try to add a field to the database when I was working on the word file too and ti came back this morning with an error regarding that field but now the other field seem to be working

Customer:

so I guess thanks very much

Brandon M. :

Ah great. Let me know if you need anything else.

Brandon M. :

Otherwise, please be sure to rate the service in the bottom right.

Customer:

ok

Brandon M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an System Administrator for law firm