flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies

Im using Excel to print 270 name badges. I have each name

I'm using Excel to print 270 name badges. I have each name in column A. The print template in Word is setup with 6 name badges on a sheet (2 wide, 3 tall). Once fully printed I will have 45 pages with 6 badges on each, totaling 270 badges. From there I would cut all 45 pages at once using a high density cutter (to make the individual badges). From here I have 6 stacks of separate badges. Using the top left "stack" as an example, it is in order of A, G, M, and so on.

I need to be able to print these badges so each stack is in alphabetical order. For example, the top left stack would be in order from A-D, stack 2(below stack 1) would be E-H, and so on.

The only way I can think of to do that offhand is to add a column to the excel sheat

in that column you want it to add by 6 up until 45 so the first row would be 1 7 13 ...

after the 45th you would do it again and start with 2

then again at 90 starting with 3

when finished you would sort on that column and it would space them out by 6 and wind up in the correct column

You can create a formula to do it

probably easier for 45 at a time and just start in row 45 and row 90 and 135 etc

= (cell above + 6)

after putting the 1 2 3 4 5 6 in the correct places copy that formula down in between the rows that start 1 2 3 4 5 6 in row 1 45 90 135 180 225

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I send you the sheet so you can do it? I'm not following.

yes can you post it on

after you upload it you will get a download url

copy and paste that into this chat and I will be able to download it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you it may be a couple of hours as I am in the middle of dinner but I will get it to you by the morning

is that ok ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely fine. Enjoy. I need to know how to replicate it with new batches as well.

ok here is the completed file

click HERE

Now what i did was i made a new column to sort on

what i wanted in that column was it to skip 6 between each name so it would go alphabetical by stack

so first i divided the total number by 6 to get the total number of pages and thus where the cut line would be to go to the next column in this case there were 90 pages 540 names

so i put 1 in the first row of this new column then i added 6 to each name going down so that the second name alphabetically would be number 7 allowing 5 other names to slip in between for the 2 -5th columns

then i went to row 91 ( 92 after the header ) which would have the first name i wanted in the second stack of labels. I put 2 in that row so that it would be the 2nd name on the list and the first name in the second stack

then i added 6 to each of them till i got another 90

then i repeated starting with 3 and again until i did the column starting with 6 to the end

then i did a copy of that column and a paste special to get the values without the formulas and this is the column that i sorted on. ( i deleted the original with the formulas )

You can see the halfway point in the process on this spread sheet

halfway spreadsheet click HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just realized, all that is needed is to sort by alpha, then number 1, 7, 13, etc, then sort by those numbers . Right?

yes that is what I did basically but you have to have the 2 3 4 5 6 in there. you start that sequence at the name that would be on the top of each column on the first page

did you get the actual file that I did.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, yes I did get it. Is there a more automated way you can think of? I need to do these very often, usually in a short amount of time.

Not off the top of my head but its not that difficult once you get used to it.

you create 1 formula that adds 6 to each row

copy that down the entire row

then you add the 2 3 4 5 6 at the break points that you get by dividing the total number by 6

then do the copy and paste special

then sort on the new row.

I was able to do it in about 5 or 10 minutes and probably faster once I got used to it.

If you are happy with the results I would appreciate if you would give me an excellent rating. I am dependent on your rating for my status on the site and it allows me to be paid for my time.

If I can think of a faster way to do it I will post back in and let you know but I think any automated way would require something more flexible than excel as it is partially dependent on the number of badges you are making. The formula could probably be written so that it made the break points as well but it would be a long formula and probably take as long to get right each time as inserting the 6 break points manually.