Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am having problem with section footers in Office 2007 Word.

I am having problem with section footers in Office 2007 Word. I have added section breaks between sections. I have unchecked the "Link to Previous sections" box. Still, when I add a footer to a new section, this footer jumps into previous sections. Help!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you send me a copy or dummy of the Word file that you are working on? It will be easier for me to work directly on the file so that I can follow your desired output immediately. You can simply SAVE AS a copy of the problem file and remove sensitive data and then send it to me.

If this is possible, you can upload the file to http://wikisend.com and then give me the download link or the 6-digit File ID.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is an entire 300-page document that needs separate footers in each section that needs different footers in each of 20 sections. Should I send the entire thing???????

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back. If the file does not contain sensitive data, you can send it to me so that I can work on it directly and see the problem on the actual file.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, the instructions to "upload the file and then give me the download link or the 6-digit File ID" are beyond my capabilities.

How can I extract myself from this process with the least charge?

Deborah

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Deborah,

Thank you for writing back. If the file does not contain sensitive data, you can upload it to this site: http://wikisend.com

After uploading to wikisend, you will get a download link or a 6-digit File ID. Please give me that information (link or ID) so that I can get your file.

Also, please check the reply page if you can attach your file directly to me. My other customers were able to attach their file directly using the reply box that you are using to reply to me.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just tried to upload the file through wikisend and got a "server error."

There is no "attach file" possibility on this reply.

Deborah

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Deborah,

I believe wikisend has technical issue at this moment. Please try to use another file sharing site below:

http://www.filedropper.com/

The process is the same. Upload your file and wait for the page to display the download link after the upload. Then copy the download link and paste it here when you reply so that I can get your file.

Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I uploaded it with filedropper: http://www.filedropper.com/gmatscbookfinalplaycopy

Here is what you can see in the file:

I added the footer "Preface" to the Preface.

I added the footer "Lesson 1: Problems with NOUNS, PRONOUNS, and POSSESSIVES to Lesson 1. This footer then replaced the footer in the preface in spite of the fact that it is in a different section and I unchecked the "Link to Previous Section" box. Thus the Preface has the footer for Lesson 1.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Deborah,

I got your file. Please give me a moment to check the settings affecting this behavior. I will get back to you shortly.

Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deborah,

Thank you for your patience. I was able to correct the header-footer issue of the file you sent me. The core of the problem is that there are lots of mixed links in the footer sections. By links I am referring to the "Link to Previous" button being highlighted several times for Lesson 1 alone. This is an indication of a corrupted footer. This explains why the footer is misbehaving.

Now, in oder to correct the problem, this is what I did:

1. I allowed MS Word to REMOVE all headers and footers. I am using Word 2010 so I opened the file, clicked on File => Prepare for Sharing => Inspect Document.
  2. Using the Document Inspector, I then clicked on Remove All opposite the Headers/Footers and Watermarks sections.
  3. After removing all headers and footers, I then recreated the header using the copy of your file (I made a REV1 copy first).
  4. Then I recreated the footer starting from Preface down to the last lesson.

Now, the footer section is working. Here is the completed file:

http://wikisend.com/download/420082/GMAT SC BOOK FINAL play copy_rev1.docx

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Jess:

I am still not all the way okay.

You added footers to the first two-thirds of the book but not to the last third. I tried to add footers to the remaining six sections, but I still had the same problem: I could add footers to one section, but when I added footers to the next section the footers from the new section copied over the footers in the previous section.

I need the following footers added to the last third of the book:

GMAT-Style Test 1 (on pages 201-218)

GMAT Style Test 2 (on pages 219-236)

GMAT-Style Test 3 (on pages 237-254)

GMAT-Style Test 4 (on pages 255-272)

GMAT-Style Test 5 (on pages 273-290)

GMAT-Style Test 6 (on pages 291-308)

Also, the style of footers that you added on pages 1-200 differs on odd and even pages. On even pages, the page numbers are bold blue. On odd pages, the page numbers are non-bold grey. Could you make the page numbers consistent on the odd and even pages? I prefer the bold blue style on the even pages.

I would love to know why I am having this problem because it is going to recur regularly. I am using Microsoft Word for Mac 2011. Any ideas why this is happening, or do I just need to wait for a new release of Microsoft Word for Mac?

I have uploaded the file to filedropper:

http://www.filedropper.com/gmatscbookfinalwithfooters

Thanks,

Deborah

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Deborah,

Thank you for writing back. I will now work on the corrections you brought up. Please give me a moment. I will get back to you with the final document.

Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deborah,

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have completed the document with the changes you desired. But I followed the "paging" in the document, not the paging you specified. For instance, you said GMAT-Style Test 1 (on pages 201-218) but in the document I sent to you it was on pages 301 and onwards. So what I did was I started footer exactly WHERE I saw the titled pages like GMAT-Style Test 1, GMAT-Style Test 2, etc.

Here is the completed file:
http://wikisend.com/download/362696/GMAT SC BOOK FINAL play copy_rev2.docx

Also, this is what I noticed in the file you sent me. There are several sections that are marked as "Different First Page" for the header and footer so the Odd and Even pages are misplaced. See this screen shot:

So this is the catch. When the first page of the section is shown as "First Page Footer" like the screen shot above, uncheck the option "Different First Page". This should now identify the page as Odd or Even.

Now, regarding the Odd and Even page footers, what I actually did for each section is I COPIED the Odd page footer from the previous page and the PASTED it in the Odd page that requires the footer. This is to ensure that the format is similar. I did the same for the Even page footers.

I already corrected the odd page footers for pages 1-200 so that the pages will be blue and bold and not black.

Lastly, if you are having trouble in your version of MS Word, if it is a bug in the MS Word software, just keep your software updated since Microsoft normally releases bug fixes through updates.

I hope this helped.

If you need assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to request me any time. I will be happy to help you any time.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Deborah,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you need further assistance with this, please don't hesitate to let me know, I am here to help.

Best regards,
Jess