Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

When I print from Internet Explorer (10) or Windows Live mail,

Customer Question

When I print from Internet Explorer (10) or Windows Live mail, I can not print only in black/White. It is an occoured problem I have never had before. The print comes in colour. Ite printer is set correct to print Black/White. I can't either print on both sides of the paper aor two pages on one side of the paper. If it is a PDF-file, there is no problems.

Specifications:

Laptop 1:

Windows 7 - 64 bit - Danish

Laptop 2.

Windows 8 - 64 bit - Danish

Printer:

HP CM1312MFP
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

In Internet Explorer, Click on the gear wheel top left, Internet Options. On the Advanced tab Go to the Printing Section and uncheck the box for “Print Background colors and images”.

Click Apply. Click OK.

Then try to print in both Internet Explorer and Windows Live Mail and tell me if it now only prints in black & White please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Richard

I have NOT the option 'Printing Section' under the Advanced Tab. I can not inset a print screen to you so that you can se my options. Can you specify for me or send me a screen dump so yhat I can see, what you mean?

Thank you,

Inge

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Its ok Inge, it appears there may be corruption within Internet Explorer

Please do the following in Internet Explorer

Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options

Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.

Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset

Then restart the computer and tell me if you can now force it to print Black and White please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It does'nt Work.........

Are you aware that the problem is on both our computers?

I got an e-mail telling that an amount has been credited on my account. Why ? The site told that I shall first pay when my problem is 100 % solved?????

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Yes, I am aware it is both programs.

I am just an engineer here, for billing questions you need to email

support@justanswer.com

Do you want to do this before proceeding?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No, I will be VERY happy, if you can help me with my problem!

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thanks!

When did this problem start? And where any changed made just before it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We were travellling on Holiday for three month Maj-June-July. In that periode we did not use the printer. When we were back home, the problem was there. A frind who are a skilled IT-person has tried many, many things without any solution. And I have asked 'Microsoft Community' without succes :-(

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Can you download Google Chrome from here please

www.google.com/chrome

It is similar (actually better) then Internet Explorer.

Once installed, Open it and go to a web page. Click on the three bars in the top right and select Print.

Choose Black & White and tell me if it now prints only in Black and White please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, I can print Black and White from Google Chrome as well as from Firefox. But the problem is still in Explore. That's why I am sure, it is a Microsoft problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
There is no question it is a Microsoft problem :)

In internet explorer, go to the print preview.

Then you see a gear wheel in the top left, click this and check that

Print Background colors and image

Is not selected

Please let me know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

'Print Background colors' is NOT selected

...... the problem is in Explorer AND in Live Mail as well

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Yes, Live Mail uses Explorer to print.

I want you to do a system restore.

Click start, type in

system restore

press enter

Follow the steps to perform a system restore, choose a restore date when you were able to last print correctly.

Once the restore has completed, try to print in Black & White and Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can choose some recent dates back to 2013-10-19 (I had the problem this date) and before that I can only select 2011-06-07. It is more than two years ago and it is a safety copy. A lot of programmes and updates will be deleted. if I choose it

Do you think it is a good idea? And can I find out all this (for me) difficult things?

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Ok, before we go back that far (as we will need to) can you reinstall the printer on the computers?

Regarding

"And can I find out all this (for me) difficult things?"

I did not quite understand this sorry.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

My friend has reinstalled the printer several times. If I shall do it myself, please guide med......

My question was regarding my capability. Do you think I can find out a system restore included all the consequenses it will have?

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Yes you can, it is very straight forward, and we can also undo the restore.

But if the printer has already been reinstalled, then there is no reason to do it again.

Can you please do the System Restore.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It is not possible to select the restore from 2011-06-07. Can you suggest something?

Maybe I shall wait a while and ask my IT-friend to come here and help me further...........

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
He can do nothing more then he already has and I am doing

Choose the restore 2011-06-07

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can not get the 2011-06-07. I get the message: 'The path with the safety copy was not found'

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, than do the following please as we will try to repair windows (as Internet Explorer is an intrigual part of this)

Download CC Cleaner (free) from here

CC Cleaner

(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)

Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.

Once done, restart the computer

Than

For Windows 7

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

For Windows 8

Press the Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Than try to print just black and white and Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It takes a long time...... the cleaning is going on. I will be back when Ccleaner.com has finish the cleaning

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, and remember to do the rest of the steps please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have scanned and repaired the registry. And restartet the computer. And in start/all programmes/accessories/command promt I choose 'run as administrator'. Then a Black dos-box appear with the line

c:\Windows\system 32>

What shall I do then?

I have printet a page from Explorer after restarting the computer. It is still in COLOUR :-(

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
you do the rest of my instructions.

Can you complete them as you only do half

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK, now I found the rest....

I have run sfc/scannow

When I write chkdsk/r í tells: 'chkdsk kan not run because the unit is in use by another process. Will you control this diskunit NeXT time the computer is started Y/N'

I wrote Y and restarted the computer.

I can still only print websites in colour.....

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, then either the printer is the issue or windows.

And as Windows works printing via another printer, it looks to be the printer itself and IE conflicting.

Are you able to test with a third computer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No, I have not a third computer. I can ask a friend to bring his computer to my place, then we can test again..... (but it is still strange, that the problem is'nt there when we use Google Chrome or Firefox)

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
yes it is, but also that it happens on 2 computers.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, I will let you know what happens further

Bye bye and thanks for your help so far

Kind regards

Inge Nørskov

Copenhagen, Denmark

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Inge

The Netherlands