The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

I want to set up a formula to add up four columns (that also

I want to set up a formula to add up four columns (that also contain formulas), but in the sum I need it to say that if the cell is a negative number not to include it in the total. Help?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 10 months ago.

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

you would use a sum if formula for that

The-PC-Guy :

lets say for example your values were in columns A1 - D1

The-PC-Guy :

the formula would be

Customer:

Hi Andrew, I want to set up a formula to add up four columns (that also contain formulas), but in the sum I need it to say that if the cell is a negative number not to include it in the total. Help?

The-PC-Guy :

which 4 columns

The-PC-Guy :

and do you want to sum everything in the columns or just a single row?

Customer:

Not sure if this will work:

The-PC-Guy :

yes it will

The-PC-Guy :

which 4 columns

The-PC-Guy :

so i give you the correct forumla

Customer:

No, I meant I was trying to print screen the worksheet to you! Shall I attach it?

The-PC-Guy :

oh

The-PC-Guy :

yes

The-PC-Guy :

if you can attach the sheet

The-PC-Guy :

that would make it easier

The-PC-Guy :

would it be easier if I just gave you an example formula, and you modify it for your range?

Customer:

Can only insert image not file?

The-PC-Guy :

works on excel too

The-PC-Guy :

i know it says image

The-PC-Guy :

sorry bout that

The-PC-Guy :

don't worry about it

The-PC-Guy :

if you are having trouble

The-PC-Guy :

just tell me which 4 columns, and I can do the rest

The-PC-Guy :

i understand exactly what you need, just need to apply it to the correct columns

Customer:

It is the tab called Babor Prof, Row 6

The-PC-Guy :

ok

The-PC-Guy :

give me a sec to cehck it out

The-PC-Guy :

so you want to sum the range G6 through N6?

The-PC-Guy :

but only positive numbers?

Customer:

No just h6, j6, l6, n6 sum, but only positive numbers

The-PC-Guy :

ok

The-PC-Guy :

got you

The-PC-Guy :

result in column I

The-PC-Guy :

column O i mean

The-PC-Guy :

correct?

Customer:

yes thanks

The-PC-Guy :

ok

The-PC-Guy :

give me a couple of minutes to do that for you

The-PC-Guy :

uploadin now

Customer:

can you just show me the formula so i can copy and paste as multiple sheets to do

The-PC-Guy :

ok

The-PC-Guy :

hold on a sec

The-PC-Guy :

=SUM(IF(H6>0,H6,0),IF(J6>0,J6,0),IF(L6>0,L6,0),IF(N6>0,N6,0))

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE SO I AM REIMBURSED FOR MY TIME

YOU DO SO WITH THE SMILEY FACES UNDERNEATH THIS CHAT

The-PC-Guy :

does that make sense to you?

The-PC-Guy :

do you need it in the file as well?

Customer:

well it makes no sense but it works! Thanks very much.

The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support