Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years

need help with a formula that contains more than 8 if stat

Customer Question

need help with a formula that contains more than 8 if statements
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am glad to assist you today.

Can you please send a copy or dummy of the Excel file that you are working on? This is helpful so that I can work on the actual Excel file directly even though with dummy data.

If this is possible, you can upload the sample or dummy file to http://wikisend.com and then give me the download link or the 6-digit File ID so that I can get your sample file.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
I got your file.

Are you referring to columns O to Y in sheet called Master?
Also, can you please tell me the conditions in your IFs like in column O in plain words? Example:

If F2 = ACM, test O if.....

Also, you can tell me a desired output like in Column O where it says FALSE, what is supposed to be the output there?

Regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok ...this is sooooo cool Cool

So basically once a guest checks in say "XXXXX XXXXX" if his dates are 12/6 thru 12/8 and he is designated as "ACM" I want to be able to just put those checkin dates and have the sheet populate "ACM" in the columns P and Q and then leave the other columns blank....

now if he was staying for example 12/6 thru 12/12 but the nights of 12/6 thru 12/7 are "ACM" but the nights of 12/8 thru 12/11 are "IPO", I want to be able to put those date in those columns and have it put the wording "ACM" under the "ACM" night columns and "IPO" under the "IPO" night colums and have blanks in the other columns...

Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry I am confused since I don't actually know the data in your file. That is why as I was asking for the conditions of your IFs only so that I can try formulas and logic to make it work.

Please give me a moment to check your formula in O2 and get back to you with an answer or another inquiry.

Jess
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

The current formula in O2 is incomplete ... It only has enough formula " ifs" for the "ACM" and "RCM" values....I could not get the "IPO" IF formula added because it exceeded the 7 ifs....so once you fiqure out how to add more "ifs" you can do it for "IPO" portion ..... also I don't want it to say "false" if they did not stay a night....do I need to use a different type of formula???

Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
The formula depends on your calculation.

Are you just tallying the ACM, ICM and IPO on the dates columns O to Y?

For instance, in row 2, do you want to show these data in Dec 5 to Dec 15 columns? See screen shot:

Is that your goal here and are the data above correct?

Jess
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

That is looking good.... were you able to test it by just putting dates in one of the columns say 12/6 thru 12/13 just in "RCM" and then test another line say Robin Adkins and put for example 12/5 thru 12/7 in "ACM" and 12/7 thru 12/15 in "IPO" and have it populate correctly in the O thru Y columns???

Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
No. I just manually entered them just to confirm with you your actual requirement.

So are the data shown in my screen shot correct? If so, please let me know so that I can build a formula to display your required data.

Jess
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Yes ...that looks right ....

Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Please give me a moment to develop a logic for this one to avoid the multiple IFs. One moment please.

Jess
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

How is it going? .....should I go to bed and get this tomorrow?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Sonyg,

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have completed it and here is the formula I used for O2:
=IF(AND($O$1>=G2,$O$1=J2,$O$1=M2,$O$1
That is using 3 IF statements only but integrated with the AND function. First, the AND function determines if the Date (above the column, I changed it to date not just a reference like O1+1) is WITHIN the range of ACM Check In and ACM Checkout. If it is, then it will put ACM there.

Then it continues to test for RCM and IPO using the same logic.

Here is the completed or modified file:
http://www.wikisend.com/download/100050/trial_updated_rooms_master_rev1.xls

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the information you need. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hey I cannot open the file can you send it to my email

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry but we cannot share email addresses here, it is against site policy. Were you able to download the file using the link I gave you? If not, please try to download from this other link:

http://www.filedropper.com/trialupdatedroomsmasterrev1

In that page, click on the gray Download This File button to get the final file.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank you so much.... you did a great job and I will definitely recommend you!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Expert:  Jess M. replied 5 months ago.
You're always welcome! I am glad that I was able to help. Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jess

I have a new formula I need help with...how do I proceed?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Sonyg,

Thank you for writing back. I suggest that you post a new question for this with more details about the problem. You can also attach the Excel file in the new question.

You can post directly that question to me using this link:
http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=49766785&FID=7067

Or you can put "For Jess M" in your question so that I can pick it immediately.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

"For Jess M"

I need to compare the date in column A1 to the date in column B1 and which ever date is GREATER....then put that date in column C1. Note sometimes there may only be one date (either in A1 or B1, in that case put that date in column C1)

Expert:  Jess M. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Sonyg,

Can you post this as a new question?

Jess