The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

Have a spreadsheet with 2 columns (A & B). Values in Column

Have a spreadsheet with 2 columns (A & B). Values in Column B are unique whereas values in Column A may be duplicates. I need a macro that will take the duplicates in Column A along with the associated unique value in column B and move them to a new workbook. I can upload a sample file, the macro will need to work on Excel 2011 for Mac.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 11 months ago.

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

please use the paperclip icon at the top of your chat window

The-PC-Guy :

to attach the document

The-PC-Guy :

says image

The-PC-Guy :

but works for xls files

The-PC-Guy :

not sure if its supported in safari

The-PC-Guy :

so if you do not see it, just let me know and I will give you an alternative meathod

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

8:38 PM

8:38 PM

to attach the document

8:38 PM

says image

8:38 PM

but works for xls files

8:38 PM

not sure if its supported in safari

8:38 PM

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The attachment seems to only accept image files. It wouldn't accept an .xls or .xslx file.
ok, maybe its different on mac.

Try

www.ge.tt

upload the file there

they give you a link

copy/paste that link here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
http://ge.tt/2MfRQMw/v/0
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 10 months ago.
i have the sheet,

So to clarify.

There are duplicate values in column A.

You would like to delete all instances of any duplicate values in column A

and move those to another sheet?

----

Does this mean for example if a value exsist 4 times

you want to copy the 4 values with the column B numbers

to the other sheet.

or do you want to leave 1 of the values, but move the other 3 over?

Please clarify
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If there are 4 duplicates leave one and move 3

Thanks
ok, I can do this, however it is getting late where I am, and sunday I take off.

Can I do this for you by end of the day monday?

Also

Because of the complexity of this request and the number of rows involved. You will relieve an email from the site shortly asking you to change the price of the question to a fair value.

You can feel perfectly free to decline to do so, however I may not be able to complete the macro for you, for so little.

Let me know what you decide either way.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Unfortunately I need it by tomorrow at 6pm PST. I will tip $100 of you do it.
deal.

You will have it.

I would like to get it to you in the morning.

So you have a chance to test it out as I will be away from about

11:30AM - 6 or 7 PM EST

that is about 8:30AM until 3 or 4 PM your time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Perfect
okey dokey
I finished early.

http://ge.tt/3HHBqMw/v/0?c

I am going to sleep now.

Will check back tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks
i know its early where you are.

But I will be around for the next 2 hours or so. IF you want me to address any problems now. Otherwise I will be away until about 4 or 5 oclock your time, and will address any problems when I get back.

Otherwise if everything is working, I look forward to your rating.

Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I think it is working. I can see that it does leave a non-duplicated set on the first sheet and moves all the duplicates to the new worksheet. I wanted to verify the accuracy on a very small set of data so that I could be 100% sure. So I just cleared the contents the first worksheet and put in some data and pressed the "remove duplicates" button but go an error. I've attached screenshots for you. The macro will need to allow me paste in data in the future and remove duplicates. Perhaps I need to remove the data in a specific way for the macro to work and I'm fine with that. What I had done was to go to both sheets and deleted all the data except for the column headers and then put in some data in the first sheet and press the remove duplicates button.graphicgraphic
here is the problem.

Those are not duplicates.

Apple

is not the same as

APPLE or apple

in excel.

Do we need it to be case sensitive, inotherwords, remove the duplicates regardless of case?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ahh yes you are correct, my bad. Yes I need it to be case insensitive please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried another scenario with 4 items the same and then removed duplicates but the result was the original stayed as expected but only 2 duplicates got moved to the sheet. See screenshot please.graphicgraphic2

Where did P-1001 go? It is no longer on either sheet?
yes.

I am familiar with that error.

You see.

excel does not consider

Apple

to be a duplicate

of

APPLE or apple.

you see it is case sensitive, that is how excel treats duplicates.

So if you need it to remove all instances of the word

APPLE regardless of case, let me know and I can make those changes.

Plus the macro will only work if there are duplicates or it will give you that error. I did not build in any error checking. So If you try to run it a 2nd time after all of the duplicates are removed, you get the error. Keep that in mind.

Let me know if you need anything else

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the explanation. I will need the duplicates to be removed regardless of case please. Did you see that example that I made with 4 of the same exact word but 2 got moved, original was left as it should, but 1 got deleted (not found on either sheet).

Also I would like to pay you now to show good faith in the work you have done while you work on the minor fixes. Can I only pay you by accepting? If so can I accept and pay with the understanding that you will apply the fixes?

Thanks!
i will stick with you until it works

Shouldn't take too long for me to make the changes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also if you have time for a quick macro that takes column A SKU's and Column B quantities and summarizes them in a new sheet for $50 let me know.

e.g.

Column A Column B
Apple 1
Pear 2
Apple 1
APPLE 1

In a new sheet should have
Column A Column B
Apple (case doesn't matter) 3
Pear 2
I should be able to do another macro after we finish and rate+bonus on this one.

Let me correct the case thing first.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No problem
let me know if this now works better for you

http://wikisend.com/download/887686/BM SF Products 10-26-13-JA-Mod2.xlsm

and after your rate, I will tell you how to request me for your next question
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes that works, thank you! If I paste in a longer or shorter list of data will the macro still work? I'm going to tip the $100 we agreed on now. Thanks.
everything went through thanks

the legnth of the list is irrelevant

It only effects the amount of time the macro takes to run

so to ask me your 2nd question

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/185976/Inventory Count Summary.xlsx

This is the one I need a new sheet to summarize quantity counts in Column B based on products in Column A
ok. will need to open a new question for this one though

can you open a new question for me?

and ask a question right in my box,