Kamil Anwar, Office Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have recently purchased a brand new laptop with Windows 8

I have recently purchased a brand new laptop with Windows 8 and installed Office 2013 and restored all of my old document files from backup.

Whenever I open any .doc or docx files, they seem to automatically be given "Read Only" status and I therefore cannot modify and save the file over itself. I have checked the file attributes and the "read only" checkbox is not marked.

Can you please help?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you upload a file for me to check by going to www.wikisend.com

Kamil Anwar :

Once the file has been uploaded, please provide me the download link.

Kamil Anwar :

Please try the following to resolve the read-only issue.

Kamil Anwar :

Click File -> Options.

Customer:

Kamil

Kamil Anwar :

Click Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View

Kamil Anwar :

I am here and can see your message. Are you getting mine?

Customer:

Kamil, sorry, wikisend will not upload file. this is teh 1srt time taht i have used this so am a novice at making it work.

Kamil Anwar :

Let's try something else.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you open the word document

Kamil Anwar :

Click File -> Options

Kamil Anwar :

ThenClick Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View

Kamil Anwar :

Uncheck the four boxes under Protected View and Click OK

Kamil Anwar :

Close word and open again to see if it still opens the documents in readonly mode

Customer:

Kamil

Kamil Anwar :

Yes

Customer:

Kamil, tried that and no success although I only had 3 checkboxes, not 4. The file name at the very top of the screen identoes teh file name with "read only" in barckets.

Kamil Anwar :

Does the file says "Protected View" too?

Customer:

No, and the problem with the previous messages was that i was hiding the return button too early, sorry.

Kamil Anwar :

Open the Document and Click File then Save As and save the document with a new name. Then open that document to see if it works

Customer:

Kamil, have tried that and it will not let me save to the same location. It suggest My Documents. And then I have to go to File Explorer to move the file back to the required directory.

Kamil Anwar :

You can save it to desktop then try and open it from desktop

Customer:

Kamil, that works OK and I can make chagnes and re-save the file to the desktop but as soon as I transfer the file back to the directory where it should be located, the same problem occurs ie. opens as read only.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you tell me the path of the directory

Customer:

C:\Users\User\Documents\ENERGEX 25ers\Expense Records\2013

Kamil Anwar :

Did you create that directory yourself?

Kamil Anwar :

Also what is the username for the computer?

Customer:

Directory was created by myself. How do I identify the username for the computer?

Kamil Anwar :

Hold the Windows Key on the Keyboard and Press R

Kamil Anwar :

A run dialogue will open

Kamil Anwar :

In that dialogue type C:\users\

Kamil Anwar :

Hit Enter

Kamil Anwar :

In the C:\users folder, you will see other folder names, please tell me what they are except for the User folder

Customer:

The list is .....All users, Default, Default user, Public, Toshiba, User, desktop.ini

Kamil Anwar :

It appears that you want all the files in the Documents folder in a sub folder called : ENERGEX 25ers

Kamil Anwar :

Am i correct?

Customer:

Yes

Kamil Anwar :

Are all your files backed up to an external drive?

Customer:

Sorry, that is a "no", under ENERGEX 25ers, there is another directory called "Expense Records" and under that, there is a 2013 directory.

Kamil Anwar :

Yes, that's correct.

Kamil Anwar :

But the parent directory is Documents, it appears that you were previously using the windows Documents folder to access the documents.

Kamil Anwar :

The sub folders i beleive is how you have them sorted.

Kamil Anwar :

Customer:

and I do have an external drive for the backup. Do you think that the files were given "read only" status during the process of restoring the file to the new computer from the backup?

Kamil Anwar :

No i beleive they are not in the right directory. I am sure this issue can be fixed.

Kamil Anwar :

Please do the following:

Kamil Anwar :

Click the Windows key on your keyboard to open Start Menu

Kamil Anwar :

Click on Computer

Kamil Anwar :

Access the External Drive

Kamil Anwar :

Copy the folder Energex 25ers

Kamil Anwar :

Then Click on the Windows key again and Click Documents

Customer:

External drive not currently set up, just give me a few minutes.

Kamil Anwar :

Right Click in Documents again and select paste to put the same folder in Documents

Kamil Anwar :

No problem.

Customer:

Kamil, can we go back a step please and start the instructions again. the external backup drive is up and running

Kamil Anwar :

No worries

Kamil Anwar :

Press the Windows Key on the Keyboard to open Start Menu -> Click on the Computer icon. You will then see the External Drive. Click on the External Drive and go to the folder from where we can copy Energex 25ers Folder. Once there, Right Click on this folder and select copy. When done, please let me know.

Customer:

done

Kamil Anwar :

Press the Windows key again, and Click Documents.

Kamil Anwar :

Then Right click in documents anywhere and Click Paste

Kamil Anwar :

Wait for the files to finish copying the folder completely. It will have the same structure as you previously had.

Kamil Anwar :

Once finished, try opening the document from here to see if that works

Customer:

I've noticed that when I right click in Documents, all subfolders become highlighted. Will I overwrite them if I continue with Paste?

Kamil Anwar :

Do a left click at the bottom where there is no icon

Kamil Anwar :

Tell me if that removes the highlight from the other folders/

Customer:

it has done it but in the process has sseemed to go into a folder called "Extras 2" (there was an Extras 1 there before but it has now vanished). Extras 2 seems to be in c:\

Kamil Anwar :

Did you copy those folders (Extras too) from the external drive or were they there before?

Customer:

No, I don't think so. When you said to "do a left click at the bottom where there is no icon", I was having trouble looking for a blank space to do that in so fear that I have inadvertently picked up this "Extras"

Kamil Anwar :

It should have been done on a blank space in My Documents

Kamil Anwar :

So that the folder Energex 25ers would appear within My Documents

Customer:

Should I try again and is the sequence, left click, right click, paste?

Kamil Anwar :

Yes but in My Documents

Kamil Anwar :

Sequence is Right Click and Paste only but if you have select all folders within My Documents then you have to do a left click to unselect other folders within My Documents and repeat right click -> paste

Kamil Anwar :

But if no other folders within My Documents are selected, then you can just Right Click in a white space within My Documents and Click Paste

Customer:

It is doing something but now I am getting a message to replace or skip files. Do I choose replace?

Kamil Anwar :

I think you have already pasted the files correctly.

Kamil Anwar :

You can do replace

Kamil Anwar :

Can you see the Folder Energex 25ers?

Customer:

Yes I can and when I attempt tp open any file, it does with the suffix [Read Only][Compatibility Mode]

Kamil Anwar :

Okay.

Kamil Anwar :

Please do the following:

Kamil Anwar :

Press the Windows logo key + X

Kamil Anwar :

Click Programs and Features.

Kamil Anwar :

Click the Word 2013 program and then Click Change

Kamil Anwar :

Click Quick Repair

Customer:

I don't have Word 2013 listed but do have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 on the list. So do i do your instructions here?

Kamil Anwar :

Yes, please Click on this program and then Click Change

Kamil Anwar :

After that, Click on Quick Repair

Customer:

The options are "Add or remove features", "Repair", "Remove" and "Enter a Product Key" but no "Quick Repair" so I am guessing you want me to use "repair".

Kamil Anwar :

Click Repair

Kamil Anwar :

Then tell me the options again

Customer:

it looks like it is doing that but don't know how much time it will take.

Kamil Anwar :

No worries, i will be here until we resolve the problem.

Kamil Anwar :

Did you activate this office earlier by providing the product key?

Customer:

yes but i had to speak to a microsoft consultant as they seemed to think that i had already installed it once before

Kamil Anwar :

Okay.

Customer:

it is currently about 2/3 of the way through

Kamil Anwar :

No worries.

Kamil Anwar :

Press the windows key again and press R while holding it

Kamil Anwar :

type: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX64\Root\Office15

Kamil Anwar :

Are you getting my messages?

Kamil Anwar :

Locate the file winword.exe and right click on it.

Kamil Anwar :

Select Properties and uncheck the box that says Run this Program in Compatibility Mode, ensure you also click on the option change settings for all users tab at the bottom of the same screen

Kamil Anwar :

Are you getting my messages?

Kamil Anwar :

Customer:

something not right happening here. I am getting multiple copies of your previous messages all time stamped within a few minuites of each other so am somewhat confused as to what i have to do next

Kamil Anwar :

I am getting the same.

Kamil Anwar :

Kamil Anwar :

But i think we are okay now.

Kamil Anwar :

Hold the Windows key and press R

Customer:

repair finished was well as reboot but same problem persists. it must have something to do with the way Word is configured.

Kamil Anwar :

Is it okay now or are you still getting repeated messages?

Customer:

repeated message have now stopped and have tried pasting c:\program files\microsoft office 15 etc in full into the run command but keep getting an error message to say that windows cannot find c:\program

Kamil Anwar :

Okay.

Kamil Anwar :

Let's do this

Kamil Anwar :

Hold the Windows key and press R

Kamil Anwar :

type regedit and hit enter.

Kamil Anwar :

Go to this folder location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options

Kamil Anwar :

In right side pane, look for CompatMode under Name.

Kamil Anwar :

Let me know if you find it.

Customer:

not there. the only ones beginning with the letter "C" are customer bottom, left, right and top margins

Kamil Anwar :

Right Click in the blank white space and Click New

Kamil Anwar :

Select (Dword 32 bit OR 64 Bit) depending on the Windows version

Kamil Anwar :

rename it to CompatMode

Kamil Anwar :

Let me know when done.

Customer:

I have a Dword 32 and a Qword 64 but not a Dword 64

Kamil Anwar :

Select Dword 32

Customer:

done

Kamil Anwar :

Okay. Now close registery editor and open a word file again

Customer:

same problem

Kamil Anwar :

How are you accessing the documents -> by going where?

Kamil Anwar :

Please list all steps

Customer:

opening from with file explorer

Customer:

meant to say opening from within file explorer

Kamil Anwar :

Which folder location are you going to from File Explorer

Customer:

C:\Users\User\Documents\ENERGEX 25ers\Expense Records\2012

Kamil Anwar :

That's the wrong location.

Kamil Anwar :

We copied the documents in My Documents

Kamil Anwar :

Go to start menu again, and then to My Documents

Kamil Anwar :

There you should have the folder Energex 25ers

Customer:

In the Start Menu, it is just called "Documents", clicking on that opens "My Documents" and then when I drill down to the folder and filename described above, double clicking on that opens the word file but it still shows [Read Only][Compatability Mode] as the suffix.

Kamil Anwar :

Were these files password XXXXX?

Kamil Anwar :

Also, how many files are these?

Customer:

no passwords, about a dozen or so files in this directory but many more elsewhere and a random sample of these have the same issue

Kamil Anwar :

Hold the Windows key and press R

Type: %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

You will see a file Normal.dotm, delete this file and try opening a document again from My Documents.

Kamil Anwar :

After typing %appdata%\Microsoft\Template - Hit Enter.

Customer:

it is telling me that it can't delete it because the file is open in word which I don;t understand because i don't have any word files open. it might need another reboot to clear that problem.

Kamil Anwar :

Hold the Windows Key and Press R

Kamil Anwar :

Type taskmgr and hit enter.

Kamil Anwar :

Locate the winword.exe process under processes, and click end task.

Kamil Anwar :

Then try again

Customer:

winword.exe wasn't there but Microsoft Word was so I closed it. Will try the other instruction now.

Kamil Anwar :

Thanks.

Kamil Anwar :

Instead of deleting normal.dotm, rename it to normal1.dotm

Customer:

sorry, I acted before the 2nd line of your mesage came through and deleted it. have opened word files and the same problem continues. i'll start again

Kamil Anwar :

That's okay.

Kamil Anwar :

It appears that the solution to this problem is to open files and save them again.

Kamil Anwar :

Because these files were created on a different version of word they have become incompatible.

Kamil Anwar :

Can you open a file, and save them again then open it again to see if issue persists? We have tested this before but should double check.

Customer:

renamed normal to normal1, opened the file again and the issue persists. but the old files were only done under Office 2010. and any new files have the [read only] suffix but not the [compatability mode] suffix. I should be able to open a file in word, make any changes and save it back over the top of itself.

Kamil Anwar :

Try this:

Kamil Anwar :

open a file again, then click File -> Save As and save it with a new name in My Documents.

Kamil Anwar :

Go back to My Documents and open it again and tell me if it has (compatibility mode / read only or none)

Customer:

the files will only successfully save to the desktop and I can open, make changes and save again but only to the desktop and all without any suffixes. If I try saving anywhere in My Documents that is where the problem occurs. (and I wish this chat session had a spell checker because I am a lousy typist). Just tried saving with a new name to My Documents, opened it and no suffixes! we must be getting close now.

Kamil Anwar :

So that means, you are able to access the documents when saved again doing save as with a different name. You can modify the files correctly and they do not have any suffix?

Customer:

yes but this only works with the renamed documents while it is stored in the root directory for My Documents, as soon as i put in back in the subdirectory, it open but with with the read only only suffix. it seems that the problem might lie with the properties of the folder rather than the file itself.

Kamil Anwar :

Right click the sub folder and tell me what the location is?

Customer:

the same one i mentioned before ie. C:\Users\User\Documents\ENERGEX 25ers\Expense Records\2012

Kamil Anwar :

That is not the correct location.

Kamil Anwar :

Also that is not the folder for Documents either.

Kamil Anwar :

My Documents

Kamil Anwar :

Can you open My Documents

Kamil Anwar :

Then right click and create a new folder called Energex 25ers

Kamil Anwar :

Create another folder in it called Expense Records

Kamil Anwar :

and another in it called 2012

Kamil Anwar :

Then open the file from previous location and save it in My Documents\ENERGEX 25ers\Expense Records\2012

Customer:

sorry, accidentally disconnected the wireless

Kamil Anwar :

No worries.

Kamil Anwar :

Did you get my messages?

Customer:

yes but if I do that, won;t it tell me that the ENERGEX 25ers folder already exists?

Kamil Anwar :

In C:\users ( did you created the folder User)?

Customer:

sorry but i don't understand. am i creating the new "ENERGEX 25ers folder" under c:\users or in My Documents. And I did not create the folder "User"

Kamil Anwar :

Please wait. I will send you some instructions.

Kamil Anwar :

It should not

Kamil Anwar :

Can you open My Documents

Kamil Anwar :

and create a folder ENERGEX 25ers

Kamil Anwar :

Then open the word document again, and save it to this folder My Documents\Energex 25ers with a different name and try opening it again.

Kamil Anwar :

See if you can access it or not?

Customer:

when i go to My Documents and then go to "home", "New Folder" it tells me that "ENERGEX 25ers" already exists and do I want to merge the new folder with it.

Kamil Anwar :

select Yes

Customer:

it tells me that I don't have permission to save to that folder but gives me the option to save to My Documents. As before, I can open, make changes and save there OK but it will simply not work when the file goes back into the subfolder. The file opens in Read Only mode. This is driving me nuts because I need to organise my documents into folders, I can't have everything in the root directory for My Documents.

Kamil Anwar :

Are you logged in as the Computer Administrator?

Kamil Anwar :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Kamil

Customer:

Kamil, I'll try this again. My sincere apologies, please believe that I was not ignoring you, my broadband internet connection failed during yesterday's session and I did not know how I could contact you to let you know. I am so glad to that you are still on line as I wanted to express my appreciation for the time that you spent trying to help me. I should be able to finish this off for myself now and am happy to pay the account even though we didn't reach the final solution, we got close enough.

Kamil Anwar :

Hello - I understand and it's no problem.

Kamil Anwar :

If you find any issue, please ask me else you may rate my answer :)

Kamil Anwar, Office Specialist
Experience: 8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.