The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

IF A1 CONTAINS A TEXT ITEM FROM A DROP DOWN BOX THEN B1 = CERTAIN

Customer Question

IF A1 CONTAINS A TEXT ITEM FROM A DROP DOWN BOX THEN B1 = CERTAIN PRICE ( HOW TO WRITE MY FORMULA?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 3 years ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is Brandon and I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

Brandon M. :

IF statements are pretty easy. The format of them are =IF(condition, true, false)

Brandon M. :

If you wanted to chain some IF statements, you would keep adding them to the last "false" section like so: =IF(condition, true, =IF(condition, true, =IF(condition, true, false)))

Brandon M. :

err, sorry... =IF(condition, true, IF(condition, true, IF(condition, true, false)))

Brandon M. :

So, using an actual example: =IF(A1 = "First Item", "1.00", IF(A1 = "Second Item", "2.00", IF(A1 = "Third Item", "3.00", "")))

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

I still don' tunderstand the jargon.I have a drop down box with items typed in them. When I select an item,I want a price to be displayed in the following cell.

Brandon M. :

Ok, would you rather just tell me what the items are and prices you want and I will give you the formula

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

There are about 300 items onmy spread sheet. When I select one Iwant a price to appear in a cell next to it. I can even send you the spead sheet if you like.

Brandon M. :

Sure, please upload it to http://www.wikisend.com and provide me the URL or the File ID when you are done.

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

Let's be clear. I willdo the actual input of the prices, the items are already there. I just need the formula. Is the price for the formula 18.00?

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

One time fee.

Brandon M. :

Correct

Brandon M. :

But you need to understand the structure of the formula which I tried to explain above but I will see what I can do.

Brandon M. :

to make it easier for you

Brandon M. :

Actually, if you don't mind, I can just create another sheet which might be easier for you - that way you don't need to edit the formula.

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

I mostly understand it, Ijust cant get it to place the price in the following cell.Itis a price sheet for boat options. Pick an option and the price should appear in the correct cell. Thanks.Cell phone is XXX-XXX-XXXX email address is [email protected],

Brandon M. :

Ok. If you upload the sheet, I can take a look at it.

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

It won't let me upload the file It is only 1.84many suggestions.

JACUSTOMER-kafizavc- :

It won' tlet me upload the file.any suggestions.

Brandon M. :

Sorry, I actually have to run out in an emergency. I will opt out so another expert can assist you.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Andrew, I will do whatever I can to answer your question

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I have put together a sample of how this could work for you.

http://ge.tt/7m99PLw/v/0?c

When you select a product in cell A1, the value in B1 will = A1s price.

Let me know if you need anything else.

PLEASE RATE MY SERVICE WHEN YOU GET CHANCE

not sure if you are seeing my replies.

Did you still need help with this?