Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have to enter a VLOOKUP function. In cells C5 and C6, enter

Customer Question

I have to enter a VLOOKUP function. In cells C5 and C6, enter a VLOOKUP function that automatically enters the product name and price into the sales form when the ProductID is entered.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.

Jess M. :

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today. Please tell me when you are ready for chat...

Customer:

Jess M. :

Hi, thank you for joining chat.... what cell do you need to enter the vlookup?

Customer:

okay am ready to view the answer or walk me through the process

Jess M. :

Ok. Please tell me WHAT cell you want the vlookup formula to be entered?

Jess M. :

In cells C5 and C6?

Customer:

yes

Jess M. :

Now, can you please tell me what cell range of product information? Is it is the same sheet or in another sheet?

Customer:

Enter New Sales Information Below Product Information
Region Product IDProduct NameProduct Price
Product ID HPPHomeware Pizza Pan19.95
Product Name SPPStone Pizza Pan29.95
Product Price HCDHomeware Casserole Dish19.95
Units Sold HCPHomeware Cookie Pan9.95
Total Sale CWChina Wok19.95
HEWHomeware Electric Wok29.95
WCMWilson Coffee Machine29.95
HBMHomeware Bread Machine49.95
HBMDHomeware Bread Machine -Deluxe89.95
HRHomeware Rotisserie119.95
OGGOlson Gas Grill159.95
OEGOlson Electric Grill159.95
Customer:

it's the same sheet...

Jess M. :

So in C5, you want to display the Product Name and in C6, the Product Price. Right?

Customer:

correct

Jess M. :

Now, it says, when the Product ID is entered. Where or what cell is the product ID entered?

Customer:

the question just reads: in cells C5 and C6, enter a vlookup function that automatically enters the product name and price into the sales form when the ProductID is entered. (hint: cells should be blank if an error value appears in a cell.) the information i pasted above is the information found on the "sales form spreadsheet."

Jess M. :

Can you send me the excel file so that I can work on it directly?

Jess M. :

Is it possible for you to send the Excel file to me? If it contains sensitive information, then don't send it....

Customer:

please let me know if you received it

Jess M. :

Ok...downloading....

Customer:

also, while you are at it...if it's an additional charge I will pay it but I have another question that pertains to this as well.

Jess M. :

no problem.... i got your file and will formulate a formula for you....the formula shall work if we are using the same file....one moment please

Customer:

the question reads: in cell C8, enter a formula that automatically calculates the total sale for the order, which is determined by the number of units sold multiplied by the price of the product. Use the IFERROR function to display a blank cell if an error value occurs during the calculation of Total Sale.

Jess M. :

I got it. so you have 2 tables and the product info is the base table. In C5, please enter this formula:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C4,E4:G15,2,FALSE),"")

Jess M. :

That should pull out the Product name when you enter an ID in C4

Jess M. :

Now, in C6, please enter this formula:
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C4,E4:G15,3,FALSE),"")

Jess M. :

If you want, I can send the file back with the formula already added

Customer:

no, am typing it already. this is so frustrating because I was just entering a standard vlookup function and not adding the =iferror.

Jess M. :

i am sorry, i must have explained it. your question said a hint" (hint: cells should be blank if an error value appears in a cell.)

Jess M. :

That is what the iferror function does....

Customer:

no worries I understand it now. would you be able to explain the other question I had?

Customer:

Customer:

if not no worries I appreciate all your help.

Jess M. :

Yeah, i did the formula already. In your C8, use this formula:
=IFERROR(C6*C7,"")

Jess M. :

The formula only displays the total sales as the product of C6 and C7 but it will display blank if error occurs.

Customer:

I did I appreciate your help today. I'll work on the macros and see how that goes.

Customer:

what do I need to do to process the payment?

Customer:

i don't want to take up more of your timr

Customer:

time*

Jess M. :

I am glad it helped. Just rate my answer positively

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years