simitpatel
simitpatel, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  MCSE, and working with Office for over 10 years.
15190142

I cant create a custom sort

I can't create a custom sort of A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-. When I do and I click my custom sort, I get: A+, A-, B+, B-, C+, C-, A, B, C. I am using Excel 2010.  I need this for a pivot table.  I can send you a sample file, if need be.

simitpatel :

Hello.Please let me know when you are ready.

Customer:

I am online

simitpatel :

OK. Could you please copy and paste the custom sort list entries that you have setup for this CusXXXXX XXXXXst so that I can take a look at that.

Customer:

A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F

simitpatel :

Could you confirm that the cells that have a letter, without the '+' or '-' symbol ONLY have the letter. You will want to make sure that there isn't any space before or after the letter.

Customer:

Yes. The cells that only have a letter, only have the letter. No space before or after

simitpatel :

Could you please send me the spreadsheet so that I can take a look at it. Just go to http://wikisend.com and upload the file there. After the file is uploaded, it will give you a link to the file. Just copy and paste that link here.

Customer:

that site is giving me errors. is there another way to upload

simitpatel :

Try this one:

simitpatel :

http://host03.pipebytes.com/

Customer:

http://host03.pipebytes.com/get.php?key=103190499370867

Customer:

I think my office firewall is blocking both of these sights.

simitpatel :

OK. It seems that the cells that have just the letter do have a space after the letter which is what the problem is here. Try this: on a few of the 'A's, just delete the cell, and manually type in the letter 'A', without a space afterwards, and then run the custom sort again. The 'A's that you fixed will be sorted correctly.

Customer:

that is it.

simitpatel :

Do you know how to fix that using search and replace, or do you want me to walk you through that?

simitpatel :

If you need help with that, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my answer with a positive rating. Any bonuses and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer:

I just did it and it worked.

simitpatel :

That's very good news :)

simitpatel :

Let me know if you need any more help. Please don't forget to rate my answers.