Brandon M.
Brandon M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an System Administrator for law firm
12024030

I have a Toshiba S855-S5251 pc with Windows 7 Home Premium

I have a Toshiba S855-S5251 pc with Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) and Office 2010. Until yesterday, I was able to use the f2 key to edit in Excel and Word. Today f2 key controls screen brightness. How can I get the f2 key to revert to edit function?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 12 months ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be glad to assist you with your issue today. Please note that I am in eastern time (UTC -5:00) and am generally online between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM and some evenings between 7 PM and 11 PM.

Brandon M. :

Just as a test, you should have a Fn key in the lower left of the keyboard. Hold that and press F2 and see if the original functionality happens (instead of changing your brightness).

Customer:

That works as a 1-time solution. However, before today I was able to press just the F2 key to enable the edit function - that is what I would like to re-engage, if possible.

Brandon M. :

Great to hear that it worked. Ok, so we are indeed looking at a function lock. If you look under Start > All Programs > TOSHIBA > Tools & Utilities, do you see HWSETUP? If so, open it up and go to the Keyboard tab. The first set of options controls how the function keys work. Make sure you set it to "Standard F1-F12 Mode" and click OK. See if it works without using the Fn key this time.

Customer:

Hard to believe, but there is no Toshiba folder listed under Start > All Programs. There ARE Toshiba folders under C > Program Files and Program Files (x86), but no Tools & Utilities in either folder.

Brandon M. :

Ok, under Program Files (x86) on the C drive, in the Toshiba folder, do you see a "System Setting" folder?

Customer:

No - no System Setting folder.

Brandon M. :

What folders do you have listed there?

Brandon M. :

And, just for giggles, can you check under the Toshiba folder under just Program Files?

Customer:

x86 Toshiba folders: Bluetooth Toshiba Stack, Documentation, NetZero, PCDiag, StartMenu, TECO, Toshiba App Place, Toshiba Book Place, Toshiba Disc Creator, Toshiba Media Controller Plug-in, Toshiba Online Backup, Toshiba Resolution + Plug-In for Windows, Toshiba Service Station, Toshiba Sleep Utility, Toshiba Web Camera Application, Toshiba FB, ToshibaRegistration, and Utilities.

Customer:

Program Files: so System Setting folder.

Brandon M. :

In the x86 Toshiba folder, wht do you have in Utilities?

Customer:

Search Programs and Files yields no results for HWSETUP.

Customer:

Utilities Folders : 21 files with names similar to CS-CZ, then 4 apps: HWPat64, HWSetup_StartMenu, SVPW.dll, and SVPWUTIL.

Brandon M. :

Ah ha!

Brandon M. :

Try HWSetup_StartMenu

Brandon M. :

You are looking for a program that looks like this:

Brandon M. :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Clicking on it brings up User Account Control box ( Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?)

Customer:

Clicking "Yes" has no effect.

Brandon M. :

Hrm, that isn't it then.

Brandon M. :

Can you try the others? Yes to that dialog if it appears

Customer:

Found the screen you referenced under Program Files (NOT X86)>Toshiba>Utilities>HWSetup

Customer:

Under Keyboard tab, Function keys are set to Special Function mode - the other option is Standard F1-F12 mode

Customer:

It appears that if I check the Standard F1-F12 mode, click OK, and then restart my computer, I should be where I want to be.

Brandon M. :

Exactly

Brandon M. :

Glad that you found it

Customer:

Should I close out this session before restarting? You have been GREAT!

Brandon M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an System Administrator for law firm