The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support

I want a cell to show a different drop-down list depending

I want a cell to show a different drop-down list depending on the value of another cell. In other words, I have catagories like "Fall Colors", "Summer Colors", "Winter Colors", etc. on a list in cell A3. When A3=Fall Colors, I want the drop down list in cell A1 to show only my list of Fall Colors (i.e. Red, Orange, Brown), not my entire list of colors. Is this possible with Excel 2010? Can I create an =IF() within my cell formula that chooses a different list based on the value of cell A3?
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

this would not be possible with formulas however a macro can be created that will change the values based a cell value.

Would you like me to do this for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. I think I figured it out.

Thank you

your welcome.

If you have a minute could you please rate, so I get reimbursed for my time.

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It turns out my macro didn't quite work the way I wanted. Can you revisit the question and help?

sure, can you send me an example sheet of how you have your data layed out?

you can upload to

after uploading they give you a file ID#

paste that here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

!!! Do you have another file sharing option? I keep getting an error message with!!!!

look toward the top of your chat window you should see a tool bar

on there should be a paperclip icon

click that

it says image

but works on excel files too.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 2013-10-25_201833_new_vet_sep.xlsx

Ok, so in the SEP tab I have a form. I created a drop-down list in the merged cells T9:AB9 using data in column AC. I would like to be able to populate the merged cells in M16:Q16 with the list of classes found on the Data spreadsheet with the appropriate list based on what is selected on T9:AB9.

For example: if Administration of Justice is selected in the drop down then the data from column B on the Data spreadsheet will be listed in SEP spreadsheet M16:Q16, and if Admin Jus - Correctional Science is selected then the list in column C is populated, and so on.

so just to be clear

the cell M16:Q16 will be a drop down of the values based on the selected value in T9:AB9?

Or will M16:Q16 and down that column be populated based on the selected value in T9:AB9?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

M16:Q16 will be based on what is selected in T9:AB9

ok, then I will assume, that just means a dropdown will be created in that cell, this is very doable, however do to the increased effort on my part , I will send a request to you, offering to create the macro. Please accept and I will get started.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Too costly, PC-guy. :-( is there any onther way for you to explain the steps?

I would actually have to create this from scratch. The way it would work is that when the user selected the first dropdown, it would trigger a macro that would populate the 2nd dropdown for you.

It is necessary to generate VBA code to do this. Once it was done, it would be fully automated.

However if you decide you don't want this done, I understand.

The cost was just pennies on the dollar compared to what a programmer would charge you in the real world to get this done for you. I was willing to offer substantial discount as I have similar code that I can pull from but this will still take me several hours.

So let me know what you decide. I can send the offer again if you want it done. Otherwise, I won't be able to create it.

Whatever you decide is up to you, and I will honor your request. I am just trying to be honest with you, don't think that I am just trying to get more out of you, that is not how this site works. That is not how I work, I just wish to be fairly compensated for my efforts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand completely, and I don't fault you for the price. It's just that I am creating this spreadsheet for the job, but the cost is out-of-pocket. My pockets just happen to be much too shallow!! I really appreciate you taking the time. I will absolutely give you an excellent rating, regardless.

ok, whatever you think is best.

And I totally understand, and wish I could help for what you are offering, but my pockets too are hurting now, so I need to make a living.

I am going to send you another offer that is a little lower anyway. You are free to decline if you wish. But I cannot go any lower.

oh disregard the last price message then.

I would really like to help you out.

But since you already rated it would require opening another question.

if you do decide to do this. Pick a fair price, and I will submit the macro to you for the cost of this which you already rated on + your next question.

and ask a question right in my box,