Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

I am stuck on Run-Time Error 3251: Operation is not supported

Customer Question

I am stuck on Run-Time Error 3251: Operation is not supported for this type of object.
My environment: MS Access 2010 Front End with SQL Express as the Back-End

When I execute 'tblPropertyMaster.Index = "NewSeekIndex" ' I get the error. tblPropertyMaster is the table in SQL Express and "NewSeekIndex" is the Primary Index on the tabel

I have recently converted my .MBD Database to SQL and I have done the linking through ODBC

I have also spent the last week on Google and Microsoft forums to get a solution, with no sucess. . . . . . . . . . Please help
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be providing an answer to your question today.

Can you please provide the lines in your code where the tables are linked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

Apologies for the delay, lost contact with Internet.

The code was linked using the ODBC tool on the MS Access 2010 'External Data' tab. I do not link the tables during code execution.

Ok... the reason I'm asking is that you cannot use Seek on linked tables - even Access tables. So if you are using ODBC for the data, you cannot use seek.

You can get around this by opening the external database directly or using OpenRecordset. This is best explained here:
http://brainchamber.com/yourls/-pfGZG

It is the reason you are getting an error that what you are doing cannot be done on that type of object - this is a limitation of Access.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike, I have received the info. I will run a test and advise soonest.

Anton

Thank you

I would appreciate a moment of tour time to rate my service. It will also insure that we can stay in contact for followup.