MrBargain
MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Friendly Neighborhood Geek... Certified Tech, Webmaster, SEO, More! 18+ Years IT Experience

Exporting 2 columns in excel (first and last name) into a format

Customer Question

Exporting 2 columns in excel (first and last name) into a format like
Jordan Matthews
Only 1 space between the first and last name. When I try and copy and paste out of excel it creates weird tab breaks or multiple spaces.

Thank you!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  replied 9 months ago.

MrBargain :

Hi, my name isXXXXX can help you combine the first and last name to easily copy. Let me know when you are ready to start?

Customer:

I am ready! Thank you so much!

MrBargain :

My understanding is that you want to combine 2 columns (First Name and Last Name).

Customer:

I have 2 columns in Excel.
Column 1 has first names. Column 2 has last names.
I want to create a document that combines the first and last name.
Column 1 = Jordan
Column 2 = Matthews
I want to export that
Jordan Matthews

MrBargain :

What you would do is in a new column, use a formula to create the combination first and then you can easily copy elsewhere like you mentioned in the question details.

MrBargain :

=A2&" "&B2

MrBargain :

Combines the names above, separated by a space

MrBargain :

If your first name is XXXXX XXXXX A2 and your last name is XXXXX XXXXX B2 then this will display Jordan Matthews

Customer:

That is great! I need to do that with 850 names. How do I do that?

MrBargain :

Once you have the column with the names combined, it's easy to select all the names and paste them to your document.

MrBargain :

1st let me ask you do you know how to create the formula I pasted?

Customer:

I was able to copy and paste it.

Customer:

I was able to recreate the formula you used

MrBargain :

OK, I could explain it to you but a video is so much better don't you agree? What you need to do is enter the formula in the top cell and then copy it to all the other cells, takes but a few seconds.

MrBargain :

Here is the video:

Customer:

Watching. One moment.

MrBargain :

No problem, take your time I will be here when you are ready.

MrBargain :

Remember that if you first name is XXXXX XXXXX cell D5 for example, the formula above should read =A2&"

MrBargain :

Staying with this example, if the last name starts in cell E5 then formula would be: "&E5

MrBargain :

Oops, made an error above, should read: =D5&"

Customer:

That worked PERFECTLY!

Customer:

All 850 worked perfectly.

MrBargain :

Nice! Always happy to hear the words perfect lol

Customer:

One more question!

MrBargain :

Can you imagine typing them out 1 by 1?

MrBargain :

Yes, go ahead!

Customer:

When I want to export this as so that I can list these on my website. How do I get it out of Excel without the lines I get from copying and pasting.

Customer:

When I copy more than 1 it creates lines. Individually it works fine. I can automate it copying and pasting into notepad 1 by 1 but that will take 10 or so minutes. Maybe there is an easier way?

MrBargain :

If you highlight all the cells with the 850 names and copy, then you can open Word and, this is the important part, in the menu, there is an option to 'Paste Special' instead of regular old paste. If you choose it, an option box will show up and you can then choose: Paste as plain text

Customer:

Plain text is not an option but unformatted seems correct.

MrBargain :

Yes

Customer:

A M A Z I NG

MrBargain :

Stop, you are too kind.

Customer:

I am so incredibly satisfied!

MrBargain :

Wow, you just made my day!

Customer:

How do I make sure to give you credit and a tip? I am new to this

MrBargain :

When you close the chat, you will be able to rate my answer and also leave a tip as well which is always appreciated.

Customer:

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Customer:

Truly incredible

MrBargain :

No, thank you! If you ever need a geek again, I'll be here!

Customer:

Have a wonderful night / day / week and month!

MrBargain, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Friendly Neighborhood Geek... Certified Tech, Webmaster, SEO, More! 18+ Years IT Experience