Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Richard, is it possible to use a list of materials contained

Richard, is it possible to use a list of materials contained in an Access 2007 table, as the list of options on an Excel 2007 cell? Example I have a list of paint colors (in Access), and would like to use that list as the options for an excel 2007 cell.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is Richard.

So you want Excel to apply the colors that are listed in your Access Data base.

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is correct, if possible

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, not 100% clear

Tell me how you expect the process to work for the user please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide a link so I can upload the Excel workbook, to explain/show what I am looking for?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Of course.

- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have uploaded file ID 926644, which is the Excel workbook, I have also uploaded a screen shot of the list within the Access Database (file ID 419984).

When looking at the excel worksheet, on the left side, there are several labels, I am specifically working with cell G50, the label to the left of that cell says "Frame Color". I currently am using a list of cells, with a data validation tool to create the list, but due to the inventory always changing, I would prefer to use the updated list within the Access database. We update the list within the database, daily, and so if I added a new color within the database, I would have to go in and change the data validation within excel, as well, and see that as being very time sensitive.

So currently the user clicks the G50 cell, and the drop down arrow appears with the partial list I have inserted in the cells. If possible, instead of the data coming from within the cells, when the user clicks the G50 cell, it is pulling the data from the access database instead?

Is that any clearer, or did I make it muddier?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That clarified it.

But no, you will not be able to automate this.

But then, why not make the form itself within Access?

Richard, Software Specialist
Experience: Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"But then, why not make the form itself within Access?"

I consider myself very average on the capabilities of Excel, and very below average on Access. What I have been able to creat within access has been very crude, but functional.

thank you though for the response.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome, but what you are trying to achieve, looks better suited within Access.

Excel is more for data analysis, not data entry.

But I can understand based on your current knowledge.

Though, if you have a go at it in Access, you have me here for assistance :)

Richard, Software Specialist