James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company
20304743

My Internet connection crashes every time I try to attach a

Customer Question

My Internet connection crashes every time I try to attach a file to my google email. I haveOffice Home and Student 2010 and many of my word documents appear to have been corrupted, they have turned orange and won't download to an attachment. In addition, when I download from an email the Internet also crashes. I have Windows 7 Home Premium. Please help. Do I need to reload my Office program, or is it windows that is the problem??
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem

Remote means i can see your issue and fix this for you

Its fully Secure and Built into the Just Answer System and you can see what i am doing at all times

If you wish i can send you the details to connect

Cheers James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you licensed by Microsoft to do this, I am a bit unsure.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Its fully Secure its built into the justanswer system you can See what i am doing at all time

Also ive seen this problem before and know how to Fix it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, go ahead, what do I do now?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=3d1513d0-4fe8-4a72-bfa4-85f3960b59b0

Click the Link above then

1) Click Join
2) Click Yes/Run/OK/Allow if asked
3) Click allow if asked by any Anti virus
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Remote Fix Cheers James
James K., Consultant
Experience: Technical Director of IT Company
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

James, word starter has now become my Microsoft program and not my office Home and Student 2010 and I don't want ninesms as my home page on Internet Explorer I have never used it. I normally use Google as my home page. Can you please sort these items out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Relist: Inaccurate answer. My Internet Explorer still crashes when I try to attach a word document. My Microsoft Office 2010 does not appear to work after fix, only word starter which came with the computer and finally a different home page opens up, one that I have never used and don't want. I use Google as my home page.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. Please do not rate this session until it has been completed.

Do you have your Office 2010 setup disc (or setup file if you downloaded it from Microsoft)?

Can you create a brand new document in "Word Starter", save it, then try to send that new file with IE?

As for resetting your homepage, it depends on which version of Internet Explorer you have installed. Can you tell me which version of Windows you have installed on that computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the set disc.

Creating a doc in word stater etc and will follow your instruction.

I have IE Premium, however I understand it has been updated to IE10.

IE just crashed again when I tried to attach the new doc to a new email.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we'll come back to the setup disc after the test with word starter.

To set your homepage, open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", "Internet Options", "General" tab. Look for the "Home Page" text entry box. Type "http://www.google.com/" (without the quotes) into that box. Click "Apply". Close and reopen Internet Explorer and let me know if it comes up correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have removed the ninemsm home page and now have Google has my home page, thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Very good. Let me know when you have a result from the word starter test document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The word starter test failed. IE crashed again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'd like to try one more test to determine where the fault lies. Can you install Google Chrome and use that to try sending both the newly created document and an old document? Or do downloads of any files from the internet cause a crash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. Both documents loaded in Chrome. Why does IE crash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The test with Google Chrome worked ok, both documents loaded and I sent it to my husband.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Downloads from email also cause the crash, i.e. a newsletter yesterday I could open it and read it, but could not close it down as the Internet had crashed.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that means that Internet Explorer itself is corrupted. Let me find a fix for you. While I'm searching, you might want to begin re-installing Office 2010. All of your documents will be safe. I'll reply again soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, how do I re-install office 2010? It is 4.15pm daylight saving time here, I notice it is 1.11am over there, I hope I am not keeping you up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Nah ... I normally work overnight so no problem.

When you insert the setup CD it should start the reinstall automatically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did insert the disc and the message is setup has stopped working.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let's try a fixer program. There seems to be a few things wrong with the operating system. So, you want to download and run from this page: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Be sure to get the newest version (2.0.1) and use the Download button next to "Direct Download" so you don't have to go to a different site. After it's done downloading you want to run the setup program, then run the program itself. I would recommend going through all 5 steps that are presented. But if you just want to try to fix it first, then skip to Step 4, let it do the registry backup, then move on to Step 5 and start fixes. It will give you a list of fixes with checkboxes, I suggest enabling all of the fixes. Then just let it start. It will take some time to finish but it's well worth it. It has fixed some pretty stubborn problems for me.

When it's done, let it reboot the computer. Then try installing Office 2010 again. Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - I was offline, As i am on GMT

Just let me know when your ready and i will send you a link to connect and Remote on and fix any Follow up items

Cheers James
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed the instructions from Bryan, downloaded tweaking and went through all the steps. The only thing I couldn't do was disable my Norton virus protection. When the computer rebooted I tried installing my Office 2010 again, but got the same fail message after "...wait while setup prepares ...". "Setup has stopped working windows will close program and notify you if a solution is available". I have never received a notification from windows.

Could my hard disc be dying?

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
No you just need to a clean install of Office.

Let me know a time and i will help you do it

I work GMT time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

9.35am here. am ready now if you are.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=179ca8a2-86cd-4e9f-8c6f-f105d59cbf9f

Click the Link above then

1) Click Join
2) Click Yes/Run/OK/Allow if asked
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok office is re-install now

Have a test let me know any follow up issues and we can pick them when i am back on Tomorrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IE is still crashing when I try to attach a document. I used Google Chrome and was able to attach a document. Weird. Solomon needs to use this computer now for some school assignments so I will report more after today's use. Previously the system worked for a short while before reverting to crashing all the time in both IE and Google Chrome.

Thanks I will log on early tomorrow morning, I wake up at 4 or 5am our time.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Ok. When IE crashes, do you get an error code or anything? Or does it just say something like "Internet Explorer has stopped responding"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it says "Internet Explore has stopped responding" and everything freezes, I have to and force shut down, then start all over again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Ok. And you ran through the AIO fixer that I gave you the link for yesterday, right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I went through all 5 items. After the clean up this morning the good news is - Google chrome is still allowing attachments, I just sent an email with an attachment via Chrome. I asked the recipients to let me know if they have trouble with the attachment.

Office Home and Student 2010 has also been re-installed and seems to be working OK.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Ok, very good. Personally, I would probably stick with Google Chrome. It has fewer problems overall than Internet Explorer. But, there is a Repair/Reinstall FAQ for Internet Explorer on the Microsoft website. You can see it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Glad to hear Office is back up and running. :) And that we have a workaround for the IE problem if the fixes don't work. But give the repair faq a shot and let me know how things turn out.
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
No Problem

Come back when you have time and I will Remote on and Fix IE

As i have now Re-install Office for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I looked at the IE re-installation sent by Bryan, when I tried to download I was told I already have an updated version of IE10 and the version I was trying to download couldn't. I am not confident of uninstalling and re-installing this program.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
you already have IE 10 installed

dose it still work fine in chrome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It did yesterday, I haven't tried it today.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

ok let me know if it is and now ive re-install office for you

we just need to sort internet Explorer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have just successfully attached a document and send it via Chrome. I also tried with IE, but as usual crash. Suska.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Ok great

Then its a simple IE issue

I will be available to remote on this Time tomorrow if you want to finish up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This time suits me as well, I will log on at 11.30am our time. It is 11.50am here with the sky reasonably clear of wood smoke from the bushfires, welcome Climate Change. Suska.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, couldn't get back at the time I said I would. I am on line now if you are available. My IE is still crashing when I try to attach a file.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Im online now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for my silence, have had to do some work. I just need have the Internet Explore fixed as you advised to do above. I am not sure how to go about setting a suitable time to be online given the time difference. It is Thursday 31 Oct @ 2.40pm here at the moment.

Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
I am not on tomorrow i am on Saturday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Saturday is bad for me again this week. Apologies for last week I had urgent matters suddenly pop up. I can be available on Sunday, depending on where you are you could be up to day behind. The time of my reply above is not correct, it was during the day time. It is 1.37pm or 13.37 on 1 November 2013 here now. Cheers