The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

I am trying to scan cells within a particular column that contain

I am trying to scan cells within a particular column that contain text looking for certain words...not just parts of words. For example, I am trying to find the word(s) "pool" or "swimming pool" only, not the word "whirlpool", even though part of the latter contains all of the former two. Another example would be that I am trying to find the word "spa" but when the "words "space" or "spacious" turn up, I get a match because both contain a portion of the word "spa".

In each instance, when I find the exact match for the word(s) I am seeking, I want to be able to indicate a "1" if found and "0" if not (for creating a dummy variable).

I have used a variety of search functions and have found several that will identify portions of the word(s) or phrase(s) I am seeking but none that will only return a "1" when only the exact word(s) or phrase(s) I am including inside the quotation marks are found in the search. I have hundreds of words in each particular column cell that is thousands of rows deep so you can see the problem.

Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question today. My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.

I am assuming the column with the values are in the A Column.

Place the following formula in B1, copy it, and paste it down Column B.

Formula:

=IF(ISERR(SEARCH("pool",A1)),0,1)

Here is a small example: http://wikisend.com/download/240778/Pool.xls

I look forward to your next message or your rating below.

To rate me, you can click one of the faces below and click Submit/Ok or click the Accept button.

If you ever wish to work with me in the future, you can ask your new questions and have them sent to me directly at the following page: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-computertechmaster/

Thank you again,
- Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have used this and others. The problem is for example, when I have words that contain portions of the one I want to identify, such as:

pool

whirlpool

swimming pool

I only want pool and swimming pool, and not whirlpool - but the command you suggested returns all three. How do I isolate only the words pool or swimming pool?

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 11 months ago.

Try

=IF(OR(A1="POOL",A1="SWIMMING POOL",A1="POOL TABLE"),1,0)

You can put as many conditions as you want in the OR separated by commas.

Let me know if you need any further modifications.

I would be happy to help!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have used several combinations and the results are inconsistent. Sometimes it returns "pool" but if I "pool table" is not asked for, it still returns it as a match because it found the word "pool" - the search has to be exact for exact matches of words - not similar words or portions. Any ideas?

Thanks!

i thought the formula I gave you would accomplish that because you can tell it which exact words you want to search for as part of the OR function.

If this is still giving you trouble then please upload an example of what you are trying to do to

www.wikisend.com

after uploading they give you a file ID#

paste that ID# XXXXX and I can correct it for you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

File ID # XXXXX

I uploaded a sample data file. Some of the rows contain the word pool, others none, others the words swimming pool. I need to be able to identify only "pool" and "swimming pool".

Thanks.

ok

here you go, this should do it for you now, I did not realize you had whole sentances in a single cell when I gave you the formula.

Let me know if you still get any false positives

Click link to download

http://wikisend.com/download/231296/Sample File - Pool - JA -Mod.xlsx

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICE

YOU DO SO WITH THE SMILEYS BENEATH THIS CHAT WINDOW
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am curious - the word "lower" that does not appear to make the search case-sensitive, right?

that is correct.

The Lower() function makes everything lower case, the problem was that sometimes the word pool was written as

POOL, Pool, pool, SWIMMING POOL, Swimming Pool,

ect...

So the lower function makes it search for all of those possibilities.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Still have a problem:

If searching for the word "spa", the formula turns shows positive when it finds either "space" or "spacious".

How can I isolate it to only "spa" in cases like this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Same thing for the word "pool" when the word "whirlpool" shows up - need to only isolate "pool".

Other examples might be:

"offer" when "offering" shows up

"moving" when "move" shows up

How do I isolate only the piece I am looking for?

this example will show you how to do spa

see sheet 2

http://wikisend.com/download/264560/Sample File - Pool - JA -Mod2.xlsx

same thing applies to any other word

just change all instances of that word in the formula to the word you are looking for

then where it says

=3,1,0

in the formula, the 3 represents the length of the word you are looking for

so for offer

you would change that to 5, the complete formula would look like

=IFERROR(IF(FIND(" ",A1,FIND("offer",LOWER(A1)))-FIND("offer",LOWER(A1))=5,1,0),0)

and for moving the length would be 6 so it would be

=IFERROR(IF(FIND(" ",A1,FIND("moving",LOWER(A1)))-FIND("moving",LOWER(A1))=6,1,0),0)

and so on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So this means I will be unable to find phrases like:

"Seller is motivated"

"seller says bring all offers"

"seller is relocating - desperate"

???

in these cases do you want to search for those specific phrases, the whole thing or just the word "seller"?

You can do either or using the same formula

for example if you only want to search for the specific phrase

"seller says bring all offers"

you would just need to count the number of letters in the phrase

so in this case it would be

=IFERROR(IF(FIND(" ",A1,FIND("seller says bring all offers",LOWER(A1)))-FIND(seller says bring all offers",LOWER(A1))=LEN("seller says bring all offers"),1,0),0)

or for just the word "seller"

=IFERROR(IF(FIND(" ",A1,FIND("seller",LOWER(A1)))-FIND("seller",LOWER(A1))=LEN("seller"),1,0),0)

hopefully that makes sense to you now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

when you use the word LEN in the formula, do you actually include the phrase after the parentheses or do you mean count the number of words in the phrase and enter the number of words in the phrase in the parentheses?

actually this one

would crap out i think

but this would fix it

=IFERROR(IF(FIND(" ",A1,FIND("seller says bring all offers",LOWER(A1))+LEN("seller says bring all offers"))-FIND("seller says bring all offers",LOWER(A1))=LEN("seller says bring all offers"),1,0),0)

follow this example, as it will count the characters in the phrase for you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Last question:

In the first sheet you sent, the search was for pool and swimming pool. How do I add additional keywords, such as hottub, Jacuzzi, spa, etc. I tried adding portions but error message said I had too many arguments.

ok

I have made a new example

on sheet 3

the best bet is for you to add a header row, with each word or phrase you are looking for in a separate column, these are poor examples but they give you the idea.

http://wikisend.com/download/951046/Sample File - Pool - JA -Mod3.xlsx

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICE

The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When I try to download the file I get some weird pdf as follows:

review of free blog sites

great site

A Review of the Free Blog Sites in order to the

Bank posting blogs Income program

By Neil Lesfrance 06/07/2013

Rob Benwell is something like 20 2 years old and also earns the 6-figure income from his own

home. He owns the 600 thousand dollar home, and also three fancy cars, and holidays within the

Maldives with his family. He claims which this really is all created possible through the medium of

posting blogs.

He

try this one

I just re uploaded it

http://ge.tt/6BWEPvv/v/0?c
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I got the file.

It does not make a whole lot of sense to me, but I will study it and see if I can figure it out.

You have been helpful and I appreciate your time.