Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

I closed Excel with three spreadsheets opened in it. I have

I closed Excel with three spreadsheets opened in it. I have dual monitors, and so spread them across as wide a window as possible. But when I tried to open all three again, one of them is open, but I can't find it/see it anywhere.
This has happened once before and I wound up having to open it up in OpenOffice and salvage it that way. This time I went into Full Screen view where I could see and copy it and paste it into a New document.
How can I prevent this from happening again, and how can I find one of these "lost" spreadsheets?
First of all, you mentioned: "I closed Excel with three spreadsheets opened in it", do you remember saving them, or you don't remember for sure.

To prevent this from happening, maybe it would help to save each one of your files before closing it. You can also try the auto-save to make sure it does get saved.

To find the lost spreadsheet, try one of the following:
- in Excel go to File --> Recent Files (or recent workbooks) --> (and see if it's there).
- if not: try to remember the spreadsheet name and do a search in the computer: (WinKey + F), or an Explorer window (at or above the folder you want to search in, or do a search at the root of the computer (C:\)) and type "Jane" in the search box located in the top right corner in Win 7, or (ctrl + F) in WinXP.

- if you don't remember the file name, then try to remember a word within the text of the spreadsheet and do a search for file with content by typing "content:jane" in the search area.

If you have any more questions, or this doesn't solve your problem, let us know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I don't think you understand my question.

The file exists--that's not the problem. The problem is that when I open it, it's not on the screen, no matter how big I make the Exel window. Even filling up two side-by-side widescreen monitors.

I suspect that it somehow slid off somewhere where I can't click-and-drag it back onto the center of the screen. I know it's open because I opened Excel by clicking on the filename in my directory, and the filename appears at the top of the Excel window, but all I see is one giant field of blue where the spreadsheet should be.

Can you try to open Excel first, then from there open the file. Another suggestion is to try to upload your excel file into www.skydrive.com or docs.google.com and see if the file can be read over there. If that doesn't work, let us know for further assistance, and let us know what error message do you see or what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, you're not helping here. As I explained in my first email, I've already got a workaround using OpenOffice. But I was hoping there was some way to get this thing to appear in Excel w/o reverting to workarounds.

Shall we ask another Expert in Excel?

I don't know if there is a way to do that, opening Excel and trying to open it from there is the best I can suggest. I will opt-out to let other experts to tackle the issue.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. You are right, it could slip off somewhere. When this happens, can you go to Control Panel, Display, or Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Adjust resolution, then set to one monitor only, then check. Then set up multiple monitors again.

Please let me know. Thank you
Experience: Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.