IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional

My question is based on the assumption that the answer requires

My question is based on the assumption that the answer requires programming to some degree. I'm inquiring about setting up templates for scholastic papers in MS Word. So instead of formatting each paper every time I type one I'd like to have a template set up according to proper Turabian formatting.

My question: How can I create this template so that I can tab between what I think are a form of textboxes? Basically, I've seen templates that allow one to edit boxes and then the box would not show up on a print out, however, one could tab from box to box.

For example, There would be a form of textbox for the title of the paper and then one could tab to the next box which would be designated for the author's name.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Text Boxes do exist in Microsoft Word and can be inserted by clicking the Insert tab and then selecting Text Box, however I think you are referring to Fields which allows you to create all kinds of text templates.

To insert a new field, first click somewhere within a document you want to place a new text field and then click the Insert tab and select Quick Parts and then Field...

From the left pane, select a field named MacroButton and then click the Field Codes button. You will see that a filed code box contains this text (command):

MACROBUTTON AcceptAllChangesInDoc

You need to edit it to look like this (bold is required and other text is arbitrary):

MACROBUTTON noname <Author's name>

Click OK and you will see text field <Author's name> appeared in your Word document. However, this is no simple text. When you click on it, it will highlight and if you start typing over it, it will disappear so that you can type your own name. You can apply formatting to that text field such as change font size, style, etc and it will automatically apply for any name you type over that field.

I hope this is what you wanted.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the results that your instructions explained. However, I was not successful in bolding the text command. Even so I was able to produce the <Author's name> field.

This wasn't exactly what I was trying to do, however, it was very close and I can definitely work with it and maybe try a few other things to try and get the exact results I'm looking for. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to include them.

Thanks again.

Hi again, Andy!

What I was referring was that you need to type "MACROBUTTON noname" as the filed code and after that code, you can include any text you want, such as "<Author's name>"

So, you can type this to be the field code:

MACROBUTTON noname Enter your name here

and you will be able to type text (your name) over existing field (Enter your name here).

If you want to have several text fields included in to your Word document, you can create just one and then copy and paste it several times, so that you don't need to repeat the same instructions again.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh I see.. Got it.