James K., Consultant
Experience:  Technical Director of IT Company

I have the following error "The application has failed to start

I have the following error "The application has failed to start because it's side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail." I cannot uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ because uninstall is not working (it must try to run an .exe) This is on my laptop. I cannot run window explorer or connect to the internet or run uninstaller or run a installer exe that I downloaded on a different pc. How can I possibly fix this?

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Lets start with why the Machine cant go online

As once its online i can remote on and fix this

What happens when you open IE ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The internet explorer flashes, like it automatically closes immediately after it opens, but there are no error messages on the desktop screen.

Lets do this

Click Start

in the search box type

A box will pop up click advanced > reset >Reset again

then try and open IE again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still get a gui screen flashing, but it is a smaller screen, it might not be internet explorer any more.

When I tried chrome, after the reset, I still get "The application has failed to start...."

Right have you tried a system Restore when was the last time the Internet Explorer worked ok ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used my laptop all day yesterday, and forgot to shutdown before I left at noon yesterday. When I started it up this morning, all my .exe files were broken for the same error. I've never done a system restore, don't know how, don't have backups, I think I might be totally hosed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What do you recommend for backups so I can do a system restore? After I get this fixed I mean.

Dont Worry your fine we will get you fixed

You wont lose any data or need a back up

Do this Please

Ok to roll the system back to a time before you had this Issue so past issue please do the below

You will lose no personal data , Emails or Docs this only effects system files

Follow the 5 small steps below to restore

1)Click the start button the Round shaped Windows key bottom left

2)In the Search box type System restore press Enter

3)After a moment a box will pop up Click the Radio button Choose a different restore point > then Click next

On the next screen in the bottom left click radio button Show more restore Points then next

4)Highlight a restore point when you had no issues ,so before yesterday look at the date when you had no problems Click next

5)Then Click Finish and then Yes

The Machine will restart and restore

Then Let me know Please and i will check it out

Cheers James
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay I had a backup point of 10/9 - it was the only one available, so I took it. Machine is restoring now.

Ok great , you will lose no personal Data

Let me know when restored
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay it's still running right now. I am going to plug it in so it won't power down because of battery being low.

No problem Just let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is done restoring and everything seems to be working fine now. Do you have any idea what could have caused this? Is there any way for me to force the system to retake a restore backup point every once in a while? Or does 10/9/2013 being the only restore point seem reasonable?

When you install or remove software it takes a system restore

But as long you have one every month or so your fine

glad its all Sorted

Now so i am credited please click the smiley Face and Submit and leave feedback

Cheers James