Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.
58597962

I need your help separating my document into separate fields

I need your help separating my document into separate fields in Excel.
Caller: Dr. James
Reason: admission
XXX-XXX-XXXX
From:Bergan Mercy Medical Center
Omaha,NE
CHS Doctor:RAMEY XXX-XXX-XXXX
Paged: 9/8/2013 2:45:50 AM
Connected Caller: 9/8/2013 2:47:07 AM

Agent:sml
Acct #: Hospitalist
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Zabo04 replied 11 months ago.

Zabo04 :

Can you attach the document to this question? You can use the paperclip to attach the document, even though it says image only. If you have sensitive information, save a copy with two lines of sample (aka fake) data in the same format and I'll work with that to produce a pdf with instructions for you.

Customer:

Attachment: 2013-10-13_235938_test1.xlsx

Full Size Image

Here it is! I want to be able to replicate what you do in future reports.

Zabo04 :

so the data is going into the columns on sheet 2

Zabo04 :

where is it coming from?

Customer:

Hey!

Customer:

I created all of the other columns after column one. The columns are in place with the format I am trying to create.

Zabo04 :

okay

Zabo04 :

but where did all the information come from?

Zabo04 :

oh I see it now

Customer:

The information came from a message database.

Zabo04 :

I didn't have the first column height set correctly

Zabo04 :

sorry about that

Customer:

Oh no problem!

Zabo04 :

I could only see the first line of text

Zabo04 :

so I was looking for that information on the other sheets

Customer:

I am so sorry! Sheet 2

Zabo04 :

I'm working on it now

Zabo04 :

I'm building formulas to parse the data, it's sometimes as much art as science

Customer:

Ha! Yeah, Im beginning to grasp that. =)

Zabo04 :

do they all get a repaged time: section?

Customer:

Ugh! They dont....only if they do not respond within the first ten minutes. Im sure that has to make things more confusing.

Zabo04 :

it does a little bit

Zabo04 :

I'm going to get everything else done, then break for dinner and figure that out

Customer:

That sounds good. Thanks for all of your help.

Zabo04 :

sure

Zabo04 :

Here is what I have so far, lines 2 and below. I am breaking for dinner and will think about the best way to handle the repage.

Customer:

This looks great so far!

Zabo04 :

thanks

Zabo04 :

all you have to do is copy down the formulas to the other rows

Zabo04 :

if you highlight the columns you want to copy in one row, it outlines the area in a black box. The lower right corner will have a square, left click on the square and drag the mouse and it will copy the selected columns over all those rows. Much faster than copy paste over a large area.

Customer:

Nice!

Customer:

And honestly, we do not repage very often. If I need to enter it manually, it is not a big deal.

Zabo04 :

i'm figuring it out now

Zabo04 :

i also have an issue with another entry that doesn't have a phone number following the doctor

Customer:

That really wont be a big deal. Because the information is not there, I may have to enter it myself.

Zabo04 :

okay

Zabo04 :

i found that

Zabo04 :

fixing one last thing

Zabo04 :

found another small issue, correcting it now

Customer:

No problem!- Thank you for your help!

Zabo04 :

sure

Customer:

Ill be back in five minutes.

Zabo04 :

I think I've got it working for the standard cases now

Zabo04 :

actually, this one has one more fix for the phone number of the doctor

Customer:

Dude, this looks fantastic! So all I have to do is copy the formula?

Zabo04 :

yes

Zabo04 :

that's it

Customer:

Great. I appreciate your help! You will make months to come extremely easy!

Zabo04 :

Glad I was able to help.

Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Experienced in Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, and Outlook.