Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner

Hi, I have an access program (2010) that I use which I can

Hi, I have an access program (2010) that I use which I can call up word templates and populate them. However, on changing to a new PC (windows 7 64 bit) what happens is that it seems to invoke winword.exe (as noticed via task manager) and hangs there unless I then close winword in task manager and then the word template pops up. It does not do this with normal doc files only template files. I have done office repair with no change.

I am truly lost with this one, i'm sure its probably only a setting or policy issue or something but I don't know what.

Any help truly appreciated.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will be providing an answer to your question today. It sounds like this is running some part of a win word as soon as you start your system. I would suggest going into takes manager after starting but before running access to see if it is already there.

If it is, then we will look to see if it is opening on boot for some reason. Click start and type mscobfig and press enter. On the startup tab, remove the check mark from each item that appears to be related to office. Then close and reboot. Test and see if the problem is fixed and lete know the result.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael, thanks for helping. No Win word is not already running on startup. If I elect to reduce the the access program window before selecting to activate a word template, I can then see the usual template SQL message generated, form there I can say yes and it all works okay. But this only works if i shrink the main access screen. Its like access will not let the winword template sql message come to the fore.

What does the message say that it is waiting for you to answer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Message box says:

Opening this document will run the following SQL command:

SELECT * FROM 'account table'

Data from your database will be placed in the document. Do you want to continue?

As I said this will work fine if I have reduced the Microsoft access screen before selecting to activate the chosen word template. If I don't then I cannot see the above message unless I go into task manager and close win word then the message is seeable.

Thank you, Allen. I am familiar with the behavior. You can correct this with a workaround.

To do this, you will have to edit the Windows Registry. To edit the Windows Registry, click on the start icon and type in regedit and press enter. This will give you a dialog to approve admin privledges for the program.

Then browse to the following registry entry (this is just like browsing folders on your computer).
  1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options
  2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  3. Under Name, type:SQLSecurityCheck (this is case sensitive. Be sure to type it in exactly as it appears here)
  4. Double-click SQLSecurityCheck.
  5. In the Value data box, type: 00000000
  6. Click OK.

You may have to reboot after this change. But the next time you open the document, it should bypass the security check prompt and open up.

Let me know how you make out and if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Works great Machael, thank you for all your help.

Excellent! I'm glad you were able to follow it easily. Making registry changes can be daunting. If you need anything in the future, just let me know.

When you have a moment, please rate my level of service using the icons on the answer. Thank you!