The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support

I have a formula that seems to work inconsistently and i need

I have a formula that seems to work inconsistently and i need it to work all the time - what I need to happen is to find the sum of four cells each being multiplied by a constant and it works great when the four cells have a value but when one or more of the cells is missing a value the formula does not return a value at all and I need the partial value for the included cells. My formula is: =IFERROR(SUM($M12*10,$O12*5,$Q12*5,$S12*5),"").

I believe the problem is that the cell that does not contain a value DOES contain a formula that does not return a value in some cases: =IFERROR(IF($E12="F",VLOOKUP($K12,Table!$B$3:$E$1024,4,FALSE),VLOOKUP($K12,Table!$B$3:$E$1024,3,FALSE)),"").

So I guess my question can I revise my formula to work even though one of the four cells contains a formula and NOT A VALUE?
Thanks
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 9 months ago.

The-PC-Guy :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

The-PC-Guy :

could you possibly send me a copy of the sheet

The-PC-Guy :

so I can get a visual idea of where the problem might be occuring

The-PC-Guy :

give me a minute to open it

Customer:

The formula is in cell X12.

The-PC-Guy :

do you care for the lookup formulas

The-PC-Guy :

if it puts a 0 in when there is an error

The-PC-Guy :

instead of a blank

The-PC-Guy :

that will make the sum formula work

The-PC-Guy :

actually that is the only way to fix the sum formula

The-PC-Guy :

still with me?

The-PC-Guy :

actually yes that will fix it for you

The-PC-Guy :

change all of the iferror ""

The-PC-Guy :

to iferror 0

The-PC-Guy :

here is the modified file

The-PC-Guy :

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY SERVICE

The-PC-Guy :

and remember I am arround if you need anything else

Customer:

Yes that works but then the 0 screws up with the data I am calculating etc. So I will then have to delete all the zeros or delete all the formulas from the blank cells.

Customer:

I will see which way works best for me as either way it is a band aid fix. Thanks for your help.

The-PC-Guy :

i have another idea

The-PC-Guy :

if you can't have the zeros

The-PC-Guy :

if its only the 4 cells

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
ok

i fixed it for you so you can keep your blanks and still have the sum formula work

http://ge.tt/2ogQ6wt/v/0?c
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support