The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

Im using Excel 2010 and a SUMIFS function to get my summarized

I'm using Excel 2010 and a SUMIFS function to get my summarized totals on my main report. Is there a way to create a drill down from the summarized total to show the rows of data that make it up. Example:
if I have data columns of Month | Sales Rep | Sales and my SUMIFS sums Sales based on the Month and Sales Rep as the criteria can I then drill back to the rows of detailed data that make up the summarized total? If so how would I go about it?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question

You can try the subtotal formula

for example

=subtotal(109,A1:A10)

change the range to whatever range you need.

this will give you only the sum of filtered values and not count the rest

you can filter values by going to the data tab
then select the columns you wish to add filters too

then clicking filter

this will add a drop down arrow at the top of each column that contains data.
just click that arrow and you wll see all of the filter options

you filter one column at a time but can filter multiple columns

let me know if you have further questions or need the formula to do something else
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
just following up

did the subtototal and filtering work for you?

let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi PC-Guy ... thanks for your inputs but I'm not wanting to use a SUBTOTAL function or AUTOFILTER on the main data sheet. Like I said in my original question I need to drill down from the SUMIFS total on the report page and then have only the rows of data that were summed show up in the sheet displayed. It needs to work just like the drill down capability in a Pivot Table ... thanks!

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
can you send an example sheet of what you are looking for? it would help to have a visual reference

you can upload to

www.wikisend.com

after uploading you will be given a file ID #

paste that number here:

Thanks
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
sure, give me a while to take a look at it
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
the file you sent was corrupted?

Did your worksheet contain macros? because you sent a macro enabled file.

try saving as .xlsx file or .xls(compatible with office 97-2003 format)
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
ok I have the sheet, that worked.

Still not quite sure what you are looking for as I see you are using filters anyway on sheet 1.

Are you saying that the sum number is XXXXX and you want the sum value on sheet to to only show the sum of whatever was selected by the filter?

Or do you want the filtered data to display on sheet 2 also?

Or are you trying to do some combination, that is sumif criteria are met, and also filter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The filter on sheet1 is just an example of what the results should be -- do you know how the drill down on a pivot table works? If so I want the EXACT same capability -- I want to double click the sum in sheet 2 and have the results in sheet 1 displayed (either on sheet2 or on a new sheet like the pivot table drill down does it) but without having to have the data in a pivot table.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
ok, just so I understand this.

I am not going to change the sumifs formula at all. You just want to take whatever criteria is in the sumifs formula and have those rows copied over to sheet 2, and the other rows not copied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes ... I'd think by using a double click action in the cell where the SUMIFS formulas resides and it would be better to place them on a new sheet so the original stays intact after the drill down -- thanks for your help!

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
sure,

I will be happy to create a macro to make this work, however I will not be able to complete it until tomorrow as it is getting very late where I am?

Is this ok with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's fine ... thank you!

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
ok great.

I just wanted to be fresh when writing it so no mistakes are made
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
here is what I have, tested it and works fine on my computer.

http://ge.tt/8YrDT8t/v/0?c

you double click on the sumifs formula on sheet 2 to activate the macro

let me know if you get errors or need anything else.
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience: 20 years experience providing remote computer support
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey PC-Guy ... this works exactly like what I wanted! Now I want to use this capability on multiple cells -- I will have a complete report and I want the user to be able to drill down on any of the cells just like this one works. How do I transfer or use this macro in other workbooks, on other sheets and in other cells? Thanks in advance for all your help and your responsiveness!

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean by multiple cells?

do you mean if you modify the sumifs formula?

this macro is essentially built into this workbook because of the sheet names. When working with multiple sheets it is necessary to name sheets within the macro. So if used on another workbook, you would need to modify all instances of the sheet names in the script.

Let me know how you wish to proceed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By multiple cells I mean I'll being using SUMIFS in various cells in my final report (for instance I'd have summaries for all the various salespeople and car types in the file I sent you) and I need to be able to have the drill down capability on all of them.

Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
as long as you are only using two ranges and two criteria for you sum ifs, if shouldn't effect the macro. Just change the names and types you use and double click to run the macro, it should change the output data to reflect those changes.