Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .

Im having problems with Office Home & Student 2007 -- Excel:

I'm having problems with Office Home & Student 2007 -- Excel: all my files with ".xlsx" extension give me the error "File is corrupt & cannot be opened". Can I recover from this? I just started having this problem this morning after I down-loaded a file with the .xls
x extension.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you.

Ive seen this issue before, and since your issue just started this morning.. I would like to try a simple repair first.

if this repair doesnt work, we will definitely try some other repairs as needed, till we have resolved t his issue.

( this repair wont erase any of your files, documents , or data )

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier pont, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried your suggestion of doing a System Restore, which didn't work. What do I try next?

When you say the system restore didnt work.

What exactly do you mean.

Did it say restore successful, or unsuccessful when you performed the restore?

As far as next steps, lets try this next.

1. Click the Microsoft Office ButtonButton image, and then click Excel Options.
  2. Click Resources.
  3. Click Diagnose, click Continue, and then click Start Diagnostics.

Can you open any of your excel files after that ?

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After the attempt to do a System Restore, I received a message "Restoration Incomplete"
It finally dawned on me that I was trying to read an "Excel" file with "Word" -- completely stupid on my part -- everything seems to be OK now!!!

However, I may have a legitimate problem, not being able to do a System Restore!

You very well could have a legitimate issue with system restore.

It could be that your antivirus is damaging your restore files.. So the question begs to be asked, what antivirus are you using.. Norton, Symantec, Mcafee, Kapersky, etc etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I use Norton 360! Should I disable Norton antivirus and try to do a System Restore again to see if that helps?

I'm not sure how to dis-able!

Right click the norton icon near your clock.

Then, you should be able to disable or turn of the real time protection.

for a time period, choose " till the computer restarts"

Then, go to system restore, create a restore point.. And then after its created. close system restore and open it.

And then try to restore to the restore point we just created.. If it says restore succcessful, then we know that norton is corrupting your restore points.

If it says restore unsuccessful, then we know there a different issue in play and can begin to focus on identifying it.

Dustin S
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed your instructions and got a "Restoration Complete" message, so I guess Norton is the culprit!

Thank you!!

Your very welcome..

It may be.. That you just need to run an update on norton .. Or..

In the future when you want to run system restore, I suggest temporarily turning norton off..

And then you shoudnt have any issues restoring.

If you wanted to ask me a question directly in the future, you can click the link below

And start the question with, For "Dustin" Only..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the issues I had, have been cleared up. I have myself to blame for the WORD/EXCEL snafu!

I did learn about "System Restore", thanks to you.

Thank you very much!